6010 or 6011? Part 4

The 6011 rod definitely has heart and soul.  It’s affectionately called by those who use it, a rust rod.  A rust rod it is.  Although generally not advised as a sound structural welding technique, the 6011 rod is quite suitable for most general purpose “rusty” welds found in farm shops all over the country or anyplace equipment has to be repaired in the field with little or no access to power.

If it fits back together, it can be welded back together with this rod.   But if you were to ask a welding inspector to tell you which weld was welded with which rod, it’s likely he or she  would be just guessing, because, in appearance the weld difference is minimal.  But anyone that welded with the 6011 rod would likely be able to tell you.  Honestly, it doesn’t penetrate quite as deep, nor freeze quite as fast.  Arc starts are easier, and it is easier to maintain an arc.  But it is maybe for that reason protocols issued by engineers typically specify a 6010 rod.  If it is specified, it has to be used.

But then again, the decision to use a 6010 rod in most circumstances seems arbitrary, especially when used as a root pass, which will likely be ground to a paper thin layer. Maybe it’s from a tradition with or from personal knowledge of the rod that most professionals continue with the 6010.  Either way the cards are usually stacked in favor of the 6010 out on the jobsite, where men are men, and even the women out weld the men.