Thread: 210EXT and 325EXT Abnormal Tungsten consumption/erosion with mid/high amperage

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Default 210EXT and 325EXT Abnormal Tungsten consumption/erosion with mid/high amperage

I'm putting this out there to see if anyone else has ever experienced it. Once I started welding more aluminum, and moderately thick aluminum (3/16 - 1/4 plate), I noticed that my 3/32 tungsten would form a cluster of tiny balls on the end instead of a small, clean ball. I have tried ceriated, 2% Lanthanated, 1.5% Lanthanated, and multi-mix. At higher amperages above 150amps, they all do the same thing, but the 1.5% Lanthanated seems to hold up slightly better despite some deformation.

For years I had used Miller Dynasty welders while welding exactly the same materials in exactly the same method, and I have always had good results from any and all tungsten except 2% thoriated or pure tungsten.

I first noticed the problem with my 210EXT and thought for sure there was an internal issue causing it. I currently have a Return Authorization, but I have waited for my new 325EXT to arrive so I could do further side by side experimentation. I found that the 325EXT does the same thing to tungsten at the higher amperages, although the welds are much cleaner than the 210EXT, which I am still troubleshooting that problem.

For the past two days I have been welding thinner aluminum (.063) at lower (100 amp) amperage with the 325EXT and I have had no problem and the welds are beautiful. The tungsten has remained in perfect condition the whole time. Tomorrow I will hook up the 210EXT and try it with the same material.

Is it possible that the Everlast Inverter machines are just harder on tungsten at a given amperage? I don't know what else to think at this point. Do I actually have to use 1/8 tungsten to weld 3/16 aluminum? I have never had to in the past with other inverter machines.

I have attached a couple of photos of the tungsten condition that I am talking about. Not the greatest pictures, but if you can zoom in, you should be able to see the disfigure ends.

Any input or thoughts are welcome.

Thanks!

moltenmetal
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2% lanthanated.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	99.8 KB 
ID:	14137   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.5 % lanthanated.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	100.5 KB 
ID:	14138