Share
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

Thread: Powerarc 210STL vs. Powerarc 160STH

  1. Default Powerarc 210STL vs. Powerarc 160STH

    Hello. New to the site and new to welding in general. I own some property and have the usual farming/hobby/fixes. I figured that most of what I need to do will be on 3/8" or less. I can run either 110 or 220V.

    I know that I'm not getting into aluminum at the present time. The 210 and 161 both look like they will run the e6010 rods and have the arc force and andi-stick settings available. I can't figure out if I'm missing something here or not. It seems like the 210 is a bit more power with a few less tig features and no torch or flow meter. The 161 is maxing out at 1/8" rods but has the high frequency and gas solenoid built in. It seems like the to buy the torch, flowmeter will cost me about a hundred more dollars going the 210 route. You get with the 161 but have less power. If I get serious down the road I could see myself getting an ac/dc tig unit, but I need to use it a ton before going there.

    I need to ask the experts here what am I getting or giving up between the two? For my limited tinkering is HF/pulse going to be a better road to learn and use on thinner stuff or do you generally need more power? Can't find much of anything on the 161STH on the forums.

  2. Default

    Yeah,

    It's kind of a trick-bag between the two, as, like you said, the 161 comes with the TIG package and more TIG features (HF starts). The 161 does cost more than the 210, but that is kind of quibbling, as the 161 comes with a TIG torch included.

    If you're going to do mostly Stick welding (better for outdoor welding), I'd go for the 210, as it has adjustable Stick features, rather than "auto" set Stick features. The 210STL also does have an auto-gas-solenoid, even though no HF starts, if you ever want to do DC TIG, and DC TIG TIG doesn't really need a foot pedal, even though the 210 is foot pedal capable.

    So, that's my recommendation, especially if you may later get an AC/DC TIG unit, which often comes with everything, including a foot pedal.

    Otherwise, if you think you may want to do about 50% of your welding in a shop setting on more delicate stuff by using TIG, then the 161 seems like the better choice.

    Honestly, they'd both probably be great choices for you, and they're both compact, too.

    Please let us all know which you pick and how you like it.
    Last edited by christian; 04-03-2019 at 11:43 PM.
    Everlast 210 EXT (2015)

    www.youtube.com/newjerusalemtimes

  3. Default

    I wish I had a crystal ball so I could see what I'm doing with it in 6-12 months. I believe the 161STH also has basically the same adjustability on the stick side as the 210STL. There is some conflicting information on the site because it says it has a 6010 setting in the details, yet in the notes it says it is not E6010 compatible. My guess is that this got copied over from the last model that didn't have that capability. Either one seems like it is going to burn 1/8" rod no problem and duty cycle is not relevant for me at this point.

    So...
    outside vs. inside work %
    TIG now (161 + pedal + gas) vs. TIG Later (210 + torch + flowmeter + pedal approx 100$ more than the STH price but never high frequency or pulse)

    I'm starting to lean towards the 210STL and taking the difference towards a decent grinder and hood.

  4. #4

    Default

    161sth and 210stl both have E6010 capacity.

  5. Default

    Yeah,

    Go for the 161 then, as it's ready to burn 1/8" rod and also a full-featured DC TIG unit.

    So, no proverbial crystal ball required.
    Everlast 210 EXT (2015)

    www.youtube.com/newjerusalemtimes

  6. Default

    Yeah,

    That 161STH is a way-cool unit.

    I'll include a video with Bob Moffat giving one an initial demo on Stick.

    And it even has "pulsed" DC TIG.

    Everlast 210 EXT (2015)

    www.youtube.com/newjerusalemtimes

  7. Default

    Just ordered up the 210STL. It seems like either way its ability to run on 110 if needed and my starting point with stick will work well. If/when I get into TIG it at least has the basics. I probably would have wanted to upgrade the torches anyway. I need some seat time buring rods. Hopefully, shipping is quick.

    The 161STH seems really nice and this one was a tough choice.

  8. #8

    Default

    I don't think you'll be sorry.

  9. Default

    I guess they are out of stock.... I guess ordering online wasn't the best thing. I should have called. Rats

  10. Default

    Ended up going with the 161STH as they had that in stock.

  11. #11

    Default

    It'll be a great unit anyway you look at it.

  12. #12

    Default

    I have decided to order the PowerArc 210STL but was disappointed that I was not able to order it at a discounted price during the Memorial Day sale because it was not currently in stock (which was the excuse I was given). I didn't mind having to wait for it to arrive. I must say, that first experience has left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth and encouraged me to look to other vendors and at preowned alternative models. I wish it featured HF start, anyway and a rudimentary pulse would have been nice.
    Last edited by mbmalone; 05-29-2019 at 09:48 PM.

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mbmalone View Post
    I have decided to order the PowerArc 210STL but was disappointed that I was not able to order it at a discounted price during the Memorial Day sale because it was not currently in stock (which was the excuse I was given). I didn't mind having to wait for it to arrive. I must say, that first experience has left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth and encouraged me to look to other vendors and at preowned alternative models. I wish it featured HF start, anyway and a rudimentary pulse would have been nice.
    I am not following something i guess. How does that leave a bad taste in your mouth? Is it because it was not on sale or because it is out of stock? Are you saying Everlast did something wrong? Are you saying that everything has to be on sale or nothing can be on sale? OR are you saying units were in stock when you were told they were out? Really confused as to what the bad taste is? Did i miss something? We can deal with legitimate issues but not if we dont understand what you feel we did wrong.

  14. #14

    Default

    I am not following something i guess. --> Yes
    Is it because it was not on sale or because it is out of stock? --> No
    or because it is out of stock? --> No
    Are you saying Everlast did something wrong? --> No
    Are you saying that everything has to be on sale or nothing can be on sale? --> No
    OR are you saying units were in stock when you were told they were out? --> No
    Did i miss something? --> Yes
    we dont understand what you feel we did wrong. --> Yes

    I am attacked, so I honestly do not believe you are truly interested in how I would have liked to have seen this handled.

    Quote Originally Posted by performance View Post
    I am not following something i guess. How does that leave a bad taste in your mouth? Is it because it was not on sale or because it is out of stock? Are you saying Everlast did something wrong? Are you saying that everything has to be on sale or nothing can be on sale? OR are you saying units were in stock when you were told they were out? Really confused as to what the bad taste is? Did i miss something? We can deal with legitimate issues but not if we dont understand what you feel we did wrong.

  15. #15

    Default

    How are you attacked? When did asking questions for clarification, or about a belief become a form of an attack? If you make a statement, it should be defensible and you shouldn't be afraid to stand your ground or explain your point. You may not believe it, but we try hard to please within reason. But we also know there are a handful of unreasonable people out there that nothing would please them short of giving them a unit. Asking a few questions, that should be easily sorted out helps us to determine whether the issue is with us and how we can fix it. As of now, if you have already bought, I am sure we can cancel your order and issue you a refund if you are not happy and see "greener" pastures elsewhere.

    I will say this in lieu of any forth coming information and with my best interpretation of the problem I will hazard to say this: We have and reserve every right to offer any sale on any item when and for what length we desire or appoint. And the usual idea and comment is "while supplies last". That is our right as a company. We do not have to offer any sale at any time, or any reduced prices, but we do often enough. Our prices for equivalent equipment is already many times lower than the major competition. If we are out of stock, that's because well, probably, the prices are too low if anything because demand is exceeding our ability to keep stock at all times. This goes back to the old economic law of supply and demand. Because we don't offer a sale on an individual item doesn't mean we have to offer for fairness sake a sale on all items. As far as the features: We have multiple Stick welding units with different features and price points and for different markets. The 210STL is for pros who use it on pipeline work or for fab shops where lift start and basic features are needed. We have the 161STH with pulse and HF start if you need it. It does not mean we can or even have to offer 2 or 3 models in every amp range to meet every need or demand or financial ability of every customer. We have to do the best we can to meet customers needs based off of the general consensus and the bulk of customers needs/ market that a unit is sold to. We try to offer excellently equipped product that functions well for its intended use at a price that is well lower than our major competition.

  16. Default

    Yeah,

    No real sense crying about it being out of stock or missing the sale.

    I mean, you could have done what the OP did, when he encountered the same fact that the 210STL was currently out-of-stock (i.e., why call that an "excuse" by Everlast, as they undoubtedly would rather make that sale at either price), which may have actually caused him to get a more suitable unit for himself (the 161STH, which has the adjustable Stick features, HF TIG arc starts, and TIG torch included, and dual-voltage, as well).

    Or, if you really want the 210STL, maybe when it's back in stock it'll go on sale via Amazon soon. I mean, even at their normal prices, the 210STL and the 161STH have no real competition for their feature set and optional ability, in my opinion (though maybe one AHP unit does somewhat compete with the 161). So, you'd be doing yourself a disservice in not getting one or the other, as, even a comparably equipped Miller Maxstar, at about three times the price, doesn't hold a candle to the Everlast units in terms of duty-cycle, if I recall correctly.

    https://www.millerwelds.com/equipmen...kage-907710001

    Quote Originally Posted by mbmalone View Post
    I have decided to order the PowerArc 210STL but was disappointed that I was not able to order it at a discounted price during the Memorial Day sale because it was not currently in stock (which was the excuse I was given). I didn't mind having to wait for it to arrive. I must say, that first experience has left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth and encouraged me to look to other vendors and at preowned alternative models. I wish it featured HF start, anyway and a rudimentary pulse would have been nice.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Johnny.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	19.6 KB 
ID:	13847
    Last edited by christian; 05-31-2019 at 04:29 PM.
    Everlast 210 EXT (2015)

    www.youtube.com/newjerusalemtimes

  17. Default

    I have no regrets on the 161STH at this time. I've actually been able to do quite a few fixes (stick only so far) on just the 120v. When I called Everlast back I was originally disappointed that the 210 wasn't in stock, but they worked out a more than fair deal for me on the 161 as the replacement. I'm not sure if the online ordering is in sync with supply so I would recommend to just call them.

  18. #18

    Default

    If you have any 1/8" 6010, I would like to know what happens when you try to run them on 120v and if you could post a picture of a weld bead.
    I'm glad the 161STH is working out, I am still considering that one as a second choice. The 210 STL's are taking so long to come in, perhaps they have been improving them ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny55 View Post
    I have no regrets on the 161STH at this time. I've actually been able to do quite a few fixes (stick only so far) on just the 120v. When I called Everlast back I was originally disappointed that the 210 wasn't in stock, but they worked out a more than fair deal for me on the 161 as the replacement. I'm not sure if the online ordering is in sync with supply so I would recommend to just call them.
    Last edited by mbmalone; 06-06-2019 at 02:31 AM.

  19. #19

    Default

    1/8" on 120 is a no go. That's 240V territory.
    There's no issue with the 210STL's. They have been near perfect.

  20. #20

    Default

    Is there perhaps a PowerARC 210STH in the works?

    Quote Originally Posted by performance View Post
    1/8" on 120 is a no go. That's 240V territory.
    There's no issue with the 210STL's. They have been near perfect.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •