Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New 2016 250EX inconsistent start and frequency

1. Default

Well,

"LPM" may be a problem. 10 LPM is about 20 CFH, I believe, which is high for 70 amp, I think. But it also sounds like you have your AC balance backwards. And the Miller and Lincoln units do read opposite, I believe.

I'll bet there's no issue with the machine. When I first got my 210EXT about 6 months ago, I had a momentary issue with HF starts, and even called Everlast Support, which was probably Mark that I spoke to, and the issue was resolved in two minutes, as it had to do with a machine setting and too high a flow of Argon on a necked-down cup, as I was using lowered amps. I mean, I kept welding, with just scratch starts until I got the call back from my message 15 or 20 minutes earlier.

Since that time I've never looked back, so to speak, and think the 210EXT is best TIG welder in it's class on planet Earth.

2. Default

Also,

The 250EX is new from Everlast or Amazon I'll presume. But you mention a Radnor torch and water cooler as well. Is the torch and water cooler new from Everlast as well?

If not, I'd slap the new gas-cooled torch on the machine, just to get a baseline of good functioning with the original equipment.

Sounds as if you have your torch in the positive rather than where it should be (in the negative). Or you have some bad gas. The unit gauge should read now in CFH, not LPM fwiw.

Happy New All!!
    It appears that the balance pot is backwards. Christian had mentioned earlier that it seemed reversed.
    When the dial is set at 70% , everything functions correctly.
    Both torch and gas had been used earlier on another piece of equipment in my shop.
    Mark, what do you recommend? Can the 2 outside wires on the pot be switched? Is there anything else inside that should be checked? This discovery is a win in my book... I hope this info will help other folks. Thank you all that contributed..

How does it weld on DC? As Mark said, double check your torch and ground plugs to be sure you don't have the polarity swapped. Next would be actually checking that the polarity matches the front panel markings. Only then can you narrow it down to the AC balance control.
    Long arc, short arc, heliarc and in-the-dark!

I'll check DC, and report back.

The simple things, aha yes. You and Mark were right. The polarity was reversed. Thank you for your help....
    Time for humble pie 😖

8. Default

Hey, great!

The Everlast Forum is cool that way. And you'll be off and running, so to speak, in this New Year with a brilliant TIG welder. I mean, with that 250EX now being Digital, while maintaining the mostly analog knob control panel, it really does represent, at around $1699, a best-value in-class for a 250 amp AC/DC machine, I think.

"rtm".......

Most machine problems are operator error induced.

Quote Originally Posted by rick9345 View Post
    Most machine problems are operator error induced.
    Well they did swap the Positive and negitive on this machine from past models

Assume you are talking location?
    Mike R.
    Email: admineverlast@everlastwelders.com
    www.everlastgenerators.com
    www.everlastwelders.com
    877-755-9353 x203
    M-F 12 - 7PM PST
    FYI: PP50, PP80, IMIG-200, IMIG-250P, 210EXT and 255EXT.

I'm very pleased with my new machine...
    The connections are different than my other Welders. Sometimes when you are very familier with certain aspects of things, you overlook the simple things. After downloading the manual, I went imeadeatly to the finer points of control.
    This is a good lesson, never make assumptions. I know this, diagnosing drive ability issues that other shops had difficulty with was something I did for a long time.
    I'm greatful for the patience of those trying to help... Will do my best not to waste time and resources. Oz

No worries, glad to see you're happy.
    2013 250EX : SSC Pedal : I-MIG 250P 20' Profax gun : Power Plasma 60 p80 torch : 3M Speedglas 9100XX : Evolution Rage 3 DB cold saw