Share
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 44

Thread: Help with spoolgun aluminum welds

  1. #21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheGary View Post
    gun positive, same as steel hard wire. If you reversed it some time to run flux core and did not change it back you that might be your problem. I also presume you are running straight argon gas.
    Straight argon... all info in the picture and description. My flux core days are over, I've had enough of that stuff to do me for the rest of my life.
    2013 250EX : SSC Pedal : I-MIG 250P 20' Profax gun : Power Plasma 60 p80 torch : 3M Speedglas 9100XX : Evolution Rage 3 DB cold saw

  2. Default

    I went back to your first post and read you were using argon. I did read it but that was a few days ago and I forgot what was in it. How did the .045 wire work?
    Miller 302 gas drive
    millermatic 200 mig
    miller spoolmatic 3 spool gun with 100ft ext.
    2014 Everlast PP60S plasma
    thermal arc 250 GTS inverter
    2016 Everlast 250EX
    miller tig cooler
    2015 Everlast MTS250S
    Miller 30A spool Gun
    Miller xtreme 12VS wire feeder
    Linde CM 85 shape cutter

  3. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zoama View Post
    Straight argon... all info in the picture and description. My flux core days are over, I've had enough of that stuff to do me for the rest of my life.
    I wish my flux core days were over too. But I do a fair amount of welding outside and in most cases the flux core is faster than stick welding everything.
    Miller 302 gas drive
    millermatic 200 mig
    miller spoolmatic 3 spool gun with 100ft ext.
    2014 Everlast PP60S plasma
    thermal arc 250 GTS inverter
    2016 Everlast 250EX
    miller tig cooler
    2015 Everlast MTS250S
    Miller 30A spool Gun
    Miller xtreme 12VS wire feeder
    Linde CM 85 shape cutter

  4. #24
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Disneyland
    Posts
    2,659

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zoama View Post
    Straight argon... all info in the picture and description. My flux core days are over, I've had enough of that stuff to do me for the rest of my life.
    Maybe Jody heard your complaints...

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUpmiDL92V8

    Neat scotchbrite trick.
    Last edited by Rambozo; 07-29-2015 at 03:37 AM.
    Long arc, short arc, heliarc and in-the-dark!

  5. #25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rambozo View Post
    Maybe Jody heard your complaints...

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUpmiDL92V8

    Neat scotchbrite trick.

    Thanks, I'll try his tips. He makes the best welding videos out there and he's the reason I bought my first Everlast machine.
    2013 250EX : SSC Pedal : I-MIG 250P 20' Profax gun : Power Plasma 60 p80 torch : 3M Speedglas 9100XX : Evolution Rage 3 DB cold saw

  6. Default

    "Other factors also can be responsible for inadequate shielding, such as contaminated shielding gas or hydrocarbon contaminants on the surface of the filler wire or parent material.

    But if the smut is just aluminum and magnesium oxide, why is it black?

    These substances are white. The particle size of the oxides in weld smut is so small that it acts as a light trap and appears black."

    When you're using 5k series wire, you will never get rid of all smut.

    With all do respect to the guy in the video, if I tried the ScotchBrite tick in the gun barrel, I'd have a nice plastic molten goo to deal with!

    The wire curling is common with small wire and can be obviated somewhat by using the tightest tip you can as long as it doesn't create other problems. 5356 is much stiffer than 4043 and if there is a choice, make sure your liner is the right diameter. I can say honestly that I've never had a bad roll of wire. Recently I ran some Chinese stuff that was as good as any.

    What thegary said about wire speed is true and his advice to stick with 3/64 is sound.

    You must post more close-up pics.

  7. Default

    Well are you welding with 5356 yet?
    Miller 302 gas drive
    millermatic 200 mig
    miller spoolmatic 3 spool gun with 100ft ext.
    2014 Everlast PP60S plasma
    thermal arc 250 GTS inverter
    2016 Everlast 250EX
    miller tig cooler
    2015 Everlast MTS250S
    Miller 30A spool Gun
    Miller xtreme 12VS wire feeder
    Linde CM 85 shape cutter

  8. #28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheGary View Post
    Well are you welding with 5356 yet?
    I tig welded my boat stringers with 5356. My spool gun has to be sucking air somewhere because I've been through every setting systematically several times with the same results. It can't be the gas since I use the same bottle for tig.
    I haven't been out to the shop for a while since my best friend and fishing partner got out of the fence and was run over and killed by some a-hole who didn't bother to stop.
    2013 250EX : SSC Pedal : I-MIG 250P 20' Profax gun : Power Plasma 60 p80 torch : 3M Speedglas 9100XX : Evolution Rage 3 DB cold saw

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    1,323

    Default

    Sorry to hear about your best friend and fishing partner.
    DaveO
    Oxweld oxy acet gear
    IMIG 200
    PowerTIG 210 EXT... Amazing!

  10. #30
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Disneyland
    Posts
    2,659

    Default

    My condolences, as well.
    Long arc, short arc, heliarc and in-the-dark!

  11. #31

    Default

    That sucks Zoama. Sorry to hear that.
    Gerald

    Millermatic 251
    Spectrum 300 Plasma
    Everlast PowerTig 250EX
    Everlast PowerCool W300
    Harris / Victor OA
    Craftsman 13 Speed Drill Press
    ProTools Air/Hydraulic Bender
    48" Brake, 72" Brake, 52" Stomp Shear
    Mitler Bros. 36" High Throat Bead Roller
    Compressor, Notchers, Grinders, etc.

  12. #32

    Default

    Yea, that does suck. I lost mine a couple years ago. Due to my age opted for no more. But you are probably young and will get a new fishing partner your old one will approve of. Sorry to hear about it and down here they would not stop either.
    Mike R.
    Email: admineverlast@everlastwelders.com
    www.everlastgenerators.com
    www.everlastwelders.com
    877-755-9353 x203
    M-F 12 - 7PM PST
    FYI: PP50, PP80, IMIG-200, IMIG-250P, 210EXT and 255EXT.

  13. #33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by everlastsupport View Post
    Yea, that does suck. I lost mine a couple years ago. Due to my age opted for no more. But you are probably young and will get a new fishing partner your old one will approve of. Sorry to hear about it and down here they would not stop either.
    I'm 50, she was 2. It's illegal to hit a dog and not stop here in South Carolina. I only wish they had stopped to give me a chance to save her.
    2013 250EX : SSC Pedal : I-MIG 250P 20' Profax gun : Power Plasma 60 p80 torch : 3M Speedglas 9100XX : Evolution Rage 3 DB cold saw

  14. #34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zoama View Post
    I'm 50, she was 2. It's illegal to hit a dog and not stop here in South Carolina. I only wish they had stopped to give me a chance to save her.
    I have you by 7 (I figured a lot more). I know it sucks though. Crazy here, you hit a duck and there is a fine. Not sure if anything for a dog.

    I know when mine was hit it there was no hope though. Private road and all but it still happened. I wish you well. Hang in there. 1 year, 2 year 10 years. All hurts.
    Mike R.
    Email: admineverlast@everlastwelders.com
    www.everlastgenerators.com
    www.everlastwelders.com
    877-755-9353 x203
    M-F 12 - 7PM PST
    FYI: PP50, PP80, IMIG-200, IMIG-250P, 210EXT and 255EXT.

  15. #35
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Canada, Suttonwest, Ontario
    Posts
    676

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zoama View Post
    I tig welded my boat stringers with 5356. My spool gun has to be sucking air somewhere because I've been through every setting systematically several times with the same results. It can't be the gas since I use the same bottle for tig.
    I haven't been out to the shop for a while since my best friend and fishing partner got out of the fence and was run over and killed by some a-hole who didn't bother to stop.
    I have being reading this post on spool gun and aluminum welding on mine it was the gas flow was to low on tig welding at was set to 25 to 30 SCFH @ 50 PSIG for aluminum and had to go to 50 to 55 SCFH @ 50 PSIG for the spool gun to get it to work with 5356 but 4043 does work a lot nicer. Sorry about you fishing buddy, had my buddy for 17 years still miss the old girl after two years had a heart attack, dog have them too.
    Everlast PowerTig 325EXT (Canada)
    Everlast Power I Mig 250 (Canada)
    Everlast PowerPlasma 80S (Canada)
    Everlast PowerCool W300 (Canada)
    Everlast PowerMTS 250S Fitted with a 30A Spoolgun(Canada)
    Miller Dynasty 400 wireless(Canada)
    Millermatic 252 plus 30A Spoolgun(Canada)

  16. #36

    Default

    I hate to throw money at problems but I could not make the other spool gun function correctly. It sucked air and had erratic wire feed speed. I tried and tried but couldn't correct those problems.
    I purchased the same basic spool gun from Mundaka but it has a much nicer one piece lead, same as a regular mig gun and uses common Tweco front end parts. I changed them to the screw on 23 style that I use on my Profax mig gun.
    My skill isn't there yet and I'm guessing at pulse settings but I at least have a starting point now. I also learned from an old Esab chart that 5356 needs lower voltage and higher wire speed than 4043.
    Here are a couple of pics I took about two months ago when I got the new spool gun and started testing again Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4043test.jpg 
Views:	313 
Size:	139.9 KB 
ID:	13603 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5356test.jpg 
Views:	288 
Size:	140.7 KB 
ID:	13601 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	newSpoolgun.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	122.4 KB 
ID:	13602
    I've been working a lot more lately so I haven't had much testing time but I think I'll catch on quicker now that the spool gun problem is solved.
    If anyone would like to share pulse settings for .090 aluminum I'd love to test them. I might even learn to weld in a straight line.
    2013 250EX : SSC Pedal : I-MIG 250P 20' Profax gun : Power Plasma 60 p80 torch : 3M Speedglas 9100XX : Evolution Rage 3 DB cold saw

  17. #37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zoama View Post
    I hate to throw money at problems but I could not make the other spool gun function correctly. It sucked air and had erratic wire feed speed. I tried and tried but couldn't correct those problems.
    I purchased the same basic spool gun from Mundaka but it has a much nicer one piece lead, same as a regular mig gun and uses common Tweco front end parts. I changed them to the screw on 23 style that I use on my Profax mig gun.
    My skill isn't there yet and I'm guessing at pulse settings but I at least have a starting point now. I also learned from an old Esab chart that 5356 needs lower voltage and higher wire speed than 4043.
    Here are a couple of pics I took about two months ago when I got the new spool gun and started testing again Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4043test.jpg 
Views:	313 
Size:	139.9 KB 
ID:	13603 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5356test.jpg 
Views:	288 
Size:	140.7 KB 
ID:	13601 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	newSpoolgun.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	122.4 KB 
ID:	13602
    I've been working a lot more lately so I haven't had much testing time but I think I'll catch on quicker now that the spool gun problem is solved.
    If anyone would like to share pulse settings for .090 aluminum I'd love to test them. I might even learn to weld in a straight line.
    I will get the starting range my son uses. We do 4043 all the time and look great. No spatter. We have never got it to spray with aluminum either.
    Mike R.
    Email: admineverlast@everlastwelders.com
    www.everlastgenerators.com
    www.everlastwelders.com
    877-755-9353 x203
    M-F 12 - 7PM PST
    FYI: PP50, PP80, IMIG-200, IMIG-250P, 210EXT and 255EXT.

  18. #38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by everlastsupport View Post
    I will get the starting range my son uses. We do 4043 all the time and look great. No spatter. We have never got it to spray with aluminum either.
    Any luck finding those settings? Do you use different settings for 5356?
    The forum has that jumping cursor problem again where midway through typing a sentence the cursor jumps to the line above.
    2013 250EX : SSC Pedal : I-MIG 250P 20' Profax gun : Power Plasma 60 p80 torch : 3M Speedglas 9100XX : Evolution Rage 3 DB cold saw

  19. #39
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Canada, Suttonwest, Ontario
    Posts
    676

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zoama View Post
    Any luck finding those settings? Do you use different settings for 5356?
    The forum has that jumping cursor problem again where midway through typing a sentence the cursor jumps to the line above.
    With 4043 .047 it work very well on my MTS 250 V23.2 wire speed and amps 276 100% argon set at 22CFM no smoke nice clean weld on a aluminum .25 and .375.
    Everlast PowerTig 325EXT (Canada)
    Everlast Power I Mig 250 (Canada)
    Everlast PowerPlasma 80S (Canada)
    Everlast PowerCool W300 (Canada)
    Everlast PowerMTS 250S Fitted with a 30A Spoolgun(Canada)
    Miller Dynasty 400 wireless(Canada)
    Millermatic 252 plus 30A Spoolgun(Canada)

  20. #40

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kempy View Post
    With 4043 .047 it work very well on my MTS 250 V23.2 wire speed and amps 276 100% argon set at 22CFM no smoke nice clean weld on a aluminum .25 and .375.
    Thank you for the tips but 99% of my spool gun work is .090 aluminum sheet and tube. I need pulse to prevent heat buildup from burning through.
    2013 250EX : SSC Pedal : I-MIG 250P 20' Profax gun : Power Plasma 60 p80 torch : 3M Speedglas 9100XX : Evolution Rage 3 DB cold saw

Similar Threads

  1. First aluminum welds- nothing to write home about
    By DaveO in forum TIG Welding (GTAW/GTAW-P)
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-28-2013, 11:14 AM
  2. Frosty looking welds with Aluminum? Everlast PowerTig 225LX
    By Welderooni in forum General Welding Questions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-13-2011, 07:14 PM
  3. Post your best aluminum welds!
    By TonyR85 in forum Other Custom Fabrications
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-30-2011, 03:48 AM
  4. First aluminum welds with PT200DX
    By sixturbosix in forum TIG Welding (GTAW/GTAW-P)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-26-2010, 05:00 PM
  5. aluminum tig welds w/ 250P
    By bmichaelk in forum Customer Testimonials
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-31-2009, 02:48 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •