Share
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Plasma stopped working on PowerPro 205

  1. Default Plasma stopped working on PowerPro 205

    I was using the plasma cutter on my PP205 and it suddenly stopped working. I had made one cut about 10" long through thin sheet metal. Started another cut and it would shoot a single hole through the metal and then stop. I would try again and get one blast and then it stops. Did that about three times and then nothing. I replaced the tips on the end of the gun and still nothing. Checked for a good ground but still nothing when I pull the trigger and strike at the metal. I don't see anything unusual on the display and hadn't made any changes right before the problem.
    Am I supposed to still get air blowing through when I pull the trigger even if there is no arc? Nothing happens when the trigger is pulled.
    I've used it several times in the past for sheet metal but probably for less than 20 cuts.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Disneyland
    Posts
    2,659

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mak View Post
    I was using the plasma cutter on my PP205 and it suddenly stopped working. I had made one cut about 10" long through thin sheet metal. Started another cut and it would shoot a single hole through the metal and then stop. I would try again and get one blast and then it stops. Did that about three times and then nothing. I replaced the tips on the end of the gun and still nothing. Checked for a good ground but still nothing when I pull the trigger and strike at the metal. I don't see anything unusual on the display and hadn't made any changes right before the problem.
    Am I supposed to still get air blowing through when I pull the trigger even if there is no arc? Nothing happens when the trigger is pulled.
    I've used it several times in the past for sheet metal but probably for less than 20 cuts.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks
    Test the other modes, that will help to narrow down the trouble to see if you need to send it in for service. It could be something as simple as a bad torch switch, or as complex as a main system board.
    Long arc, short arc, heliarc and in-the-dark!

  3. #3

    Default

    It's usually a wire pulled loose at the torch switch. It's a very simple repair.
    2013 250EX : SSC Pedal : I-MIG 250P 20' Profax gun : Power Plasma 60 p80 torch : 3M Speedglas 9100XX : Evolution Rage 3 DB cold saw

  4. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zoama View Post
    It's usually a wire pulled loose at the torch switch. It's a very simple repair.
    That was it! One of the connectors to the trigger inside the gun had slipped off. I love when a problem turns out to have a simple solution. Rarely the case for me...
    And in answer to my own question, yes, the air should still flow whenever the trigger is pulled. I couldn't remember if that was the case.
    Thanks much.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Hazel Green, Alabama
    Posts
    18

    Default

    I had a similar problem on my Super Ultra 205.... my plasma cutter just stopped after about 10 inches of cut.... (the initial flame would come on but no cutting).... I rechecked my ground... no luck... when I decided to change out the electrode and cap. I removed the cap and I found my electrode had come loose.... when I tightened that back up.... presto.... everything is fine now....

    Lesson learned.....
    Gasseous

    You will never win a horse race by yelling "Whoa!"

  6. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rambozo View Post
    Test the other modes, that will help to narrow down the trouble to see if you need to send it in for service. It could be something as simple as a bad torch switch, or as complex as a main system board.
    First post here and I know this is an old thread but I am having a similar problem with my pp205. AC TIG works no problem, never tried stick welding. Checked switch in torch, no problem there. When I press switch, pre flow starts if selected, then nothing; post flow starts after switch is released. Checked points and set gap .038, no change.
    Open to suggestions

  7. #7

    Default

    Is it a true old 205 without an s or si?

  8. Default

    To my knowledge, that's correct. I bought it 8 years ago. I haven't put a great number of hours on it but have really enjoyed using it when I do.

  9. #9

    Default

    If it has HF start, then you may have a Plasma inverter problem. Make sure you have the torch on the negative when you cut. Select 2T.

  10. Default

    Confirmed 2t, negative torch. iirc, the manual says blowback start. I changed consumables in my first round of troubleshooting but unit still functions as described previously.

  11. #11

    Default

    Make sure you didn't drop your swirl ring out.

  12. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by performance View Post
    Make sure you didn't drop your swirl ring out.
    Just to exhaust variables:

    I tried the swirl ring both ways and still no arc; just pre flow when I pull the trigger and post flow when I let off--no arc or airflow when the torch is supposed to be cutting.

    Continuity checks:
    Pilot arc ring terminal to torch tip - 0 ohms
    Cable mounted control connector - 0 ohms when trigger is pulled, infinite ohms when released
    Torch dinse connector to torch tip - 0 ohms resting, infinite ohms during pre/post flow
    Torch dinse connector to pilot arc ring connector - 0 ohms resting, infinite ohms during pre/post flow

    At this point, it have to agree that it looks like a plasma inverter may be in my future. I'm not afraid to run tests at board or component level to confirm. Please advise on next steps

  13. #13

    Default

    Call 877 755 9353 ext 207 tomorrow 9 to 5 eastern. Don't delay. If it hasn't been 5 years it should be under warranty. If it has it can be fixed for a reasonable price in comparison to purchasing a new one.

Similar Threads

  1. Power Ultra 205 HF start has stopped working
    By KC TB in forum Multi-Process Units (TIG,Stick,Plasma/MIG,TIG,Stick Combo units)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-02-2018, 04:14 AM
  2. Plasma on my PP256 stopped working
    By DeeEmm in forum Multi-Process Units (TIG,Stick,Plasma/MIG,TIG,Stick Combo units)
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-08-2014, 01:18 PM
  3. PP256 Plasma stopped working
    By Andy in forum Multi-Process Units (TIG,Stick,Plasma/MIG,TIG,Stick Combo units)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-10-2013, 01:34 AM
  4. Pedal stopped working PP256
    By Timberwolf in forum Multi-Process Units (TIG,Stick,Plasma/MIG,TIG,Stick Combo units)
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-08-2011, 05:42 AM
  5. my 250 EX stopped working
    By Rodsmachineshop in forum TIG Welding (GTAW/GTAW-P)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-06-2010, 07:00 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •