Share
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Simple Question from Newbie

  1. Default Simple Question from Newbie

    I just got my first Plasma cutter, really... a Supercut 50P. I understand it's the lower end of the spectrum, but its just for my home garage use. In that spirit, I am curious what the minimal reasonable compressor would be to run it at 50A. I live in a moderate subdivision and hate to run my larger noisy compressor for a while if I can run off a smaller pancake style version. I have tried to look at the manual (very vague across the board) and just need to know a reasonable minimum PSI and CFM to consider sufficient. Thanks.

    David

  2. #2

    Default

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pp.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	101.3 KB 
ID:	10871 About 3.5cfm @ 70 psi while cutting. The "pancake" won't do. You'll also need an air dryer... I like the motorgaurd kit but you can use the cheap harbor freight desiccant ones if you'd like.
    Last edited by zoama; 09-20-2013 at 04:30 AM.
    2013 250EX : SSC Pedal : I-MIG 250P 20' Profax gun : Power Plasma 60 p80 torch : 3M Speedglas 9100XX : Evolution Rage 3 DB cold saw

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Disneyland
    Posts
    2,661

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tdkask View Post
    I just got my first Plasma cutter, really... a Supercut 50P. I understand it's the lower end of the spectrum, but its just for my home garage use. In that spirit, I am curious what the minimal reasonable compressor would be to run it at 50A. I live in a moderate subdivision and hate to run my larger noisy compressor for a while if I can run off a smaller pancake style version. I have tried to look at the manual (very vague across the board) and just need to know a reasonable minimum PSI and CFM to consider sufficient. Thanks.
    50 amps will take about 4 CFM @ 90 psi, 5 would be better. Tank size depends more on actual usage and pump size. Long cuts vs. short, recovery time, etc. Pancakes usually do not provide enough air for this. Sorry but you should run the big one. There are some things you can do to help quiet down a compressor for your neighbors. One thing is if it's near a wall, hand some carpet on that wall. That really cuts down on reflected sound.
    Long arc, short arc, heliarc and in-the-dark!

  4. #4

    Default

    David welcome to the forum
    Lincoln A/C 225
    Everlast P/A 200

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    1,323

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tdkask View Post
    hate to run my larger noisy compressor
    Welcome, David! Thank you for thinking of your neighbors- maybe the answer is to turn it around a little and invite the neighbor over to show him the new machine, try it out, debug, troubleshoot, whatever. That way he'll never even notice the compressor. The women folk will giggle and say things like "the boys will play with their toys" or "they're having a play date" but they're going to say that anyway, aren't they?

    I'm always careful to NOT make a lot of noise when neighbors may be sleeping or have guests or something, and I always give the one neighbor close enough to be bothered a heads up if I'm going to do something too unusual. But we're close enough friends that they don't mind, and I've helped them out of a jam or two, or just had the right tool at the right time, that they're willing to cut me some slack.
    DaveO
    Oxweld oxy acet gear
    IMIG 200
    PowerTIG 210 EXT... Amazing!

  6. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rambozo View Post
    ...There are some things you can do to help quiet down a compressor for your neighbors. One thing is if it's near a wall, hand some carpet on that wall. That really cuts down on reflected sound.
    This is good advice. Also, a high-volume compressor can make a surprising amount of intake noise. I've seen a large IR compressor with the inlet piped through a wall so that the filter was outside the shop and it seemed noticeably quieter. Maybe not a solution for you if you have neighbors on all sides, but you may be able to muffle the intake some if it is a major sound source.
    Plan B is to build an enclosure with lots of insulation.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by its_34 View Post
    Plan B is to build an enclosure with lots of insulation.
    A compressor needs good airflow to cool the pump and motor.
    2013 250EX : SSC Pedal : I-MIG 250P 20' Profax gun : Power Plasma 60 p80 torch : 3M Speedglas 9100XX : Evolution Rage 3 DB cold saw

  8. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zoama585 View Post
    A compressor needs good airflow to cool the pump and motor.
    Very true and something that must be considered in the design. I have some very quiet generators, both air and water cooled that run for hours in desert heat.

  9. #9

    Default

    Here's a link to a small quite compressor and a link to the thread it was posted in: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...g=alvmetwor-20
    .
    http://www.everlastgenerators.com/fo...ght=compressor
    EverLast 140ST
    PowerPlasma 50
    No You Can't Use Them

Similar Threads

  1. Silly/Simple 225LX question
    By Mikey B in forum TIG Welding (GTAW/GTAW-P)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-05-2014, 10:12 PM
  2. Stupid newbie question
    By breakneckmot in forum General Welding Questions
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-17-2013, 05:58 PM
  3. Newbie Question - Downside to Gas Lens?
    By greygizmo in forum TIG Welding (GTAW/GTAW-P)
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 01-06-2013, 05:24 PM
  4. Newbie question
    By DaveO in forum TIG Welding (GTAW/GTAW-P)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-14-2011, 08:02 PM
  5. Newbie 225LX pedal control question
    By robsthomson in forum TIG Welding (GTAW/GTAW-P)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-17-2010, 01:25 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •