Share
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 57

Thread: Strong Hand Nomad portable welding table review

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Whine Country, California
    Posts
    442

    Default Strong Hand Nomad portable welding table review

    So I've been planning to build a small portable welding table for quite some time now, but I have also kept my eye on Strong Hand's Nomad table after seeing Jody's review at WT&T. I finally decided that I have enough things to build that will keep me busy, and most of them will require a welding table that I can weld on, grind on, and clamp to. My final decision was made when Ebay sent me a 10% off coupon for select sellers only. Summit racing was offering this very table for $150 with no tax or shipping, and this item was eligible for the coupon, so I went for it and spent just over $135 total.

    Of course with UPS involved in shipping, I couldn't help but cringe...and with good reason. I watched the UPS truck storm by yesterday and then drive right back out several minutes later without stopping at my address, and I knew there was a problem when the tracking status online went from "Out for Delivery" to "At front door" 20 minutes later. Certainly not the first time this has happened with UPS deliveries, and last time was a HUGE mess until UPS sent the responsible driver to retrieve the package from the wrong address. About 2 hours after I called Summit and they volunteered to ship another one out immediately at no cost to me (while also filing a claim for the "missing" table), the UPS truck showed up, dropped the package in the yard quickly, then drove off before I could run out and get their explanation/apology. Of course I called Summit and cancelled the 2nd table.

    After opening the box, I separated the parts and fasteners neatly, and began assembling the table according to the instructions that Strong Hand sent with the table. About 40 minutes later I had a table that closely resembled what was printed on the front of the box, no cussing or yelling involved (FIRST TIME EVER!). I was able to use the table this evening for the first time and I think it's going to work out just fine, even as my primary welding table. Of course I have some upgrades planned, but I need to get through some other projects first. Possible upgrades do include adding the 32"x26"x1/4" aluminum plate that I currently use for the welding surface on my job box, some properly sized Z-bar side rails that will work in conjunction with the new top, plus hinged panels on the sides and back of the tabletop to help contain sparks and grit while stick/MIG welding or cutting/grinding (like a welding booth).

    And the best part is that my new nylon torch lead jacket still didn't have to touch the dirty shop floor! I must say that the table was quite sturdy as I turned and flipped the front beam I'm in the middle of repairing. I couldn't think of a project that is more awkward to weld then this for the table's maiden voyage. I'm very pleased, even as it sits in factory format with no upgrades.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1855.jpg 
Views:	1088 
Size:	136.8 KB 
ID:	10610  
    Andy
    New Everlast PowerTig 250EX that is begging for me to come up with a few welding projects so it can stretch it's legs. Did someone say aluminum???

    MISC. TOOLS:
    Atlas 618 lathe
    Milwaukee Porta Band with custom made stand
    Dewalt 4-1/2" angle grinder
    Dewalt 14" chop saw

    Strong Hand Nomad portable table
    Juki sewing machine I've had for years (yes I know sewing is for girls)

  2. #2

    Default

    Nice buy! I want one of those pretty badly but the wife flat out said no. Looks like I'll be building a table soon out of old bed frames and a bakers rack shelf until I can convince her I "Need" a bigger/better table.
    Owner/Operator of Breakneckmoto
    Used motorcycles and parts

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Whine Country, California
    Posts
    442

    Default

    That's exactly what I thought too. It was pretty much a deal I couldn't pass up. With inflation rates being what they are, if I waited another year it would probably cost $175! One or 2 years ago I was looking to buy the table for $129.00 and now $150 is a deal! Most other places want $160-170 plus shipping! I think the bed frame and bakers rack shelf idea is great too though. No $150 payout and you get to design your own table to fit your needs!

    For those that are interested in a good deal on this table, this is the only other place I was considering buying it from....and you get a free MagSpring clamp and 2 magnets with the table purchase, plus free shipping:
    http://store.cyberweld.com/webehabe300.html

    And here is your chance to have your very own "Shop Monkey" around (free with any $25 purchase!):
    http://store.cyberweld.com/coupons.html
    Andy
    New Everlast PowerTig 250EX that is begging for me to come up with a few welding projects so it can stretch it's legs. Did someone say aluminum???

    MISC. TOOLS:
    Atlas 618 lathe
    Milwaukee Porta Band with custom made stand
    Dewalt 4-1/2" angle grinder
    Dewalt 14" chop saw

    Strong Hand Nomad portable table
    Juki sewing machine I've had for years (yes I know sewing is for girls)

  4. #4

    Default

    I bought mine from cyberweld last year.
    Everlast 200DX
    Everlast PT185
    Shoptask 3-in-1 (not currently in my garage, but I own it...)

    Any day on a motorcycle like this that ends just needing parts and labor is a good day.
    4.82, 158.67mph 1/8th mile 7.350, 200.35mph 1/4 mile

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Disneyland
    Posts
    2,661

    Default

    I got mine from Northern Tool with the clamp and magnet bonus. On special right now for $139 and they always send out free shipping coupons by email.
    It's a nice table, but I foresee a few mods, too.

    http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...4325_200434325
    Long arc, short arc, heliarc and in-the-dark!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Whine Country, California
    Posts
    442

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rambozo View Post
    I got mine from Northern Tool with the clamp and magnet bonus. On special right now for $139 and they always send out free shipping coupons by email.
    It's a nice table, but I foresee a few mods, too.

    http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...4325_200434325
    I just received a Northern tool catalog but I no longer receive free shipping emails, so that was the reason why I didn't use them. Maybe they kicked me off the mailing list due to the fact I never order from them(?). They have screwed me around a few times anyways and I always proceed with caution when using Northern Tool, so it's not like they were my first choice to begin with. My last experience was actually a good one...and I was shocked! My parts washer showed up in one piece looking like the one in the photo, and it wasn't even missing hardware.

    I LOVE summit and have never had a problem that couldn't be handled in a professional manor when dealing with them. TP tools, Jegs, Goodson, and Speedway are a few others that I like to use as well.
    Andy
    New Everlast PowerTig 250EX that is begging for me to come up with a few welding projects so it can stretch it's legs. Did someone say aluminum???

    MISC. TOOLS:
    Atlas 618 lathe
    Milwaukee Porta Band with custom made stand
    Dewalt 4-1/2" angle grinder
    Dewalt 14" chop saw

    Strong Hand Nomad portable table
    Juki sewing machine I've had for years (yes I know sewing is for girls)

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by youngnstudly View Post
    I just received a Northern tool catalog but I no longer receive free shipping emails, so that was the reason why I didn't use them. Maybe they kicked me off the mailing list due to the fact I never order from them(?). They have screwed me around a few times anyways and I always proceed with caution when using Northern Tool, so it's not like they were my first choice to begin with. My last experience was actually a good one...and I was shocked! My parts washer showed up in one piece looking like the one in the photo, and it wasn't even missing hardware.

    I LOVE summit and have never had a problem that couldn't be handled in a professional manor when dealing with them. TP tools, Jegs, Goodson, and Speedway are a few others that I like to use as well.

    I treat Northern like I treat Harbor Freight for the most part. Summit is awesome, when I lived in GA and was doing a lot of racing it was like a trip to the promised land when we went into the store. I always left with a case of the "I wants!"
    Owner/Operator of Breakneckmoto
    Used motorcycles and parts

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Disneyland
    Posts
    2,661

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by breakneckmot View Post
    I treat Northern like I treat Harbor Freight for the most part.
    Yup, for their own brand stuff they are about the same, some better some worse. But since this is a Stronghand Tools product, all any place does is slap a shipping label on it or even have it drop shipped right from Stronghand. Even a monkey can manage that.
    Long arc, short arc, heliarc and in-the-dark!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Whine Country, California
    Posts
    442

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by breakneckmot View Post
    I treat Northern like I treat Harbor Freight for the most part. Summit is awesome, when I lived in GA and was doing a lot of racing it was like a trip to the promised land when we went into the store. I always left with a case of the "I wants!"
    I treat Harbor Freight much better than Northern at this point. I still use them sparingly, but they have proven to be a valuable resource when I don't have time to order something online and have it shipped. I don't expect much from them and with that attitude, they never let me down.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rambozo View Post
    Yup, for their own brand stuff they are about the same, some better some worse. But since this is a Stronghand Tools product, all any place does is slap a shipping label on it or even have it drop shipped right from Stronghand. Even a monkey can manage that.
    You're right, a monkey could manage that, but the real question is...Can UPS???
    Last edited by youngnstudly; 08-30-2013 at 09:11 PM.
    Andy
    New Everlast PowerTig 250EX that is begging for me to come up with a few welding projects so it can stretch it's legs. Did someone say aluminum???

    MISC. TOOLS:
    Atlas 618 lathe
    Milwaukee Porta Band with custom made stand
    Dewalt 4-1/2" angle grinder
    Dewalt 14" chop saw

    Strong Hand Nomad portable table
    Juki sewing machine I've had for years (yes I know sewing is for girls)

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Eastern Oregon
    Posts
    681

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by breakneckmot View Post
    Nice buy! I want one of those pretty badly but the wife flat out said no. Looks like I'll be building a table soon out of old bed frames and a bakers rack shelf until I can convince her I "Need" a bigger/better table.
    Bread racks are great for a lot of things. As a welding table, not so much, especally when sitting on a wobbly sheet metal stand.

    It is way past time to pull the trigger and just get one. Thanks for the review Andy.
    Penncrest Buzzbox - Infinite amp control! Man the 70's were good.
    Everlast Powerplasma 60 - Reliable unit, cuts well.
    Everlast i-MIG 250P w/spoolgun - Really smooth, plenty of cajones.
    Everlast 250EXT - Sometimes it just takes a kick in the balls...
    Everlast 255EXT - Just started playing

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Whine Country, California
    Posts
    442

    Default

    Your welcome! I'm a little embarrassed to admit that the table is currently the spot where I am doing some front end assembly work. The tabletop is covered in dirt and grease and I've only used it for welding once so far. I can't help that it's convenient for other things besides welding. One of the first things I figured out about it (in regards to welding) is that there is almost always an uncovered portion of the table slots which can be used to set the torch cup into to prevent the tig torch from sliding off the table (when you're not welding with it). Probably wouldn't work for a MIG gun with the trigger being in the way though.
    Andy
    New Everlast PowerTig 250EX that is begging for me to come up with a few welding projects so it can stretch it's legs. Did someone say aluminum???

    MISC. TOOLS:
    Atlas 618 lathe
    Milwaukee Porta Band with custom made stand
    Dewalt 4-1/2" angle grinder
    Dewalt 14" chop saw

    Strong Hand Nomad portable table
    Juki sewing machine I've had for years (yes I know sewing is for girls)

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by youngnstudly View Post
    Your welcome! I'm a little embarrassed to admit that the table is currently the spot where I am doing some front end assembly work. The tabletop is covered in dirt and grease and I've only used it for welding once so far. I can't help that it's convenient for other things besides welding. One of the first things I figured out about it (in regards to welding) is that there is almost always an uncovered portion of the table slots which can be used to set the torch cup into to prevent the tig torch from sliding off the table (when you're not welding with it). Probably wouldn't work for a MIG gun with the trigger being in the way though.
    I do that with mine as well. Not necessarily the covered in grease part, but I use it as a bench to put parts when I pull the engine out of my bike. I also use the slots to hold the torch, although it doesn't do a great job and I had it hit the floor, breaking the cup.
    Everlast 200DX
    Everlast PT185
    Shoptask 3-in-1 (not currently in my garage, but I own it...)

    Any day on a motorcycle like this that ends just needing parts and labor is a good day.
    4.82, 158.67mph 1/8th mile 7.350, 200.35mph 1/4 mile

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Eastern Oregon
    Posts
    681

    Default

    Guess one of the first things to do will be build a torch/gun holder then. The ergo plus gun is nice to work with, but the trigger extension is always getting activated when I set it down.
    Penncrest Buzzbox - Infinite amp control! Man the 70's were good.
    Everlast Powerplasma 60 - Reliable unit, cuts well.
    Everlast i-MIG 250P w/spoolgun - Really smooth, plenty of cajones.
    Everlast 250EXT - Sometimes it just takes a kick in the balls...
    Everlast 255EXT - Just started playing

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Whine Country, California
    Posts
    442

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sportbike View Post
    I do that with mine as well. Not necessarily the covered in grease part, but I use it as a bench to put parts when I pull the engine out of my bike. I also use the slots to hold the torch, although it doesn't do a great job and I had it hit the floor, breaking the cup.
    I just happened to need a spot to assemble my front end and the table was sitting there looking under-worked. Yeah, the torch has tried to slide off the table a few times on me now, but I still find the slots to be handy for that purpose most of the time. I did find that a pair of Vise Grip C-clamps worked well for keeping the torch on the table (hook the ceramic cup around the upper portion of the C-grips).

    I'm trying to figure out what fixtures and tooling I want to insert into the slots (to give them a real use, but I still haven't put much thought into the idea yet.

    Quote Originally Posted by redbeard View Post
    Guess one of the first things to do will be build a torch/gun holder then. The ergo plus gun is nice to work with, but the trigger extension is always getting activated when I set it down.
    That's a pain with MIG! There are a million ways to build that holder with very little work and thought involved. Even something as simple as welding a short piece of tube or pipe to the Vise Grip C-clamps I mentioned above so you can clamp them anywhere. I use those Vise Grips for almost everything!
    Andy
    New Everlast PowerTig 250EX that is begging for me to come up with a few welding projects so it can stretch it's legs. Did someone say aluminum???

    MISC. TOOLS:
    Atlas 618 lathe
    Milwaukee Porta Band with custom made stand
    Dewalt 4-1/2" angle grinder
    Dewalt 14" chop saw

    Strong Hand Nomad portable table
    Juki sewing machine I've had for years (yes I know sewing is for girls)

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Eastern Oregon
    Posts
    681

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by youngnstudly View Post
    There are a million ways to build that holder with very little work and thought involved. Even something as simple as welding a short piece of tube or pipe to the Vise Grip C-clamps I mentioned above so you can clamp them anywhere. I use those Vise Grips for almost everything!
    Good idea, it never even occurred to me to just stuff the nozzle into a piece of pipe for a holder. As usual, I pass right by the easy solution on my way to yet another over-engineering challenge.Name:  duh.gif
Views: 4401
Size:  610 Bytes
    Penncrest Buzzbox - Infinite amp control! Man the 70's were good.
    Everlast Powerplasma 60 - Reliable unit, cuts well.
    Everlast i-MIG 250P w/spoolgun - Really smooth, plenty of cajones.
    Everlast 250EXT - Sometimes it just takes a kick in the balls...
    Everlast 255EXT - Just started playing

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Whine Country, California
    Posts
    442

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by redbeard View Post
    Good idea, it never even occurred to me to just stuff the nozzle into a piece of pipe for a holder. As usual, I pass right by the easy solution on my way to yet another over-engineering challenge.Name:  duh.gif
Views: 4401
Size:  610 Bytes
    My welding instructor in college showed me that trick originally (years ago). Then I became a sheet metal worker shortly after and started working for a local HVAC fab shop as a pre apprentice (with the foreman, 7 journeyman, and a few apprentices). Almost everyone treated me like an idiot since I was young and new to the trade, until the 35 year certified welder/journeyman in the shop saw me using those "pockets" on the welding table to rest the MIG nozzle in and told everyone at lunch about it.

    Apparently everyone else (including the foreman) had let the stinger hit the floor multiple times whenever they used the welder, and the journeyman welder was stuck fixing the damage every time the gun stopped working. He even gave "heated" lectures about it to the other guys at lunch. Needless to say, I got treated with some respect after that and had a much easier time "fitting in" at my new job!
    Andy
    New Everlast PowerTig 250EX that is begging for me to come up with a few welding projects so it can stretch it's legs. Did someone say aluminum???

    MISC. TOOLS:
    Atlas 618 lathe
    Milwaukee Porta Band with custom made stand
    Dewalt 4-1/2" angle grinder
    Dewalt 14" chop saw

    Strong Hand Nomad portable table
    Juki sewing machine I've had for years (yes I know sewing is for girls)

  17. #17

    Default

    Good idea! That had never occurred to me!
    Owner/Operator of Breakneckmoto
    Used motorcycles and parts

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Eastern Oregon
    Posts
    681

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by youngnstudly View Post
    Needless to say, I got treated with some respect after that and had a much easier time "fitting in" at my new job!
    Yep, it's all about the street cred isn't it.
    Penncrest Buzzbox - Infinite amp control! Man the 70's were good.
    Everlast Powerplasma 60 - Reliable unit, cuts well.
    Everlast i-MIG 250P w/spoolgun - Really smooth, plenty of cajones.
    Everlast 250EXT - Sometimes it just takes a kick in the balls...
    Everlast 255EXT - Just started playing

  19. #19

    Default

    Looks like Harbor Freight has a knock-off now.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/adjusta...ngtable-022014


    Not sure why the price is the same as the original..kind of defeats the purpose of Harbor Freight.
    http://store.cyberweld.com/webehabe300.html
    Everlast 200DX
    Everlast PT185
    Shoptask 3-in-1 (not currently in my garage, but I own it...)

    Any day on a motorcycle like this that ends just needing parts and labor is a good day.
    4.82, 158.67mph 1/8th mile 7.350, 200.35mph 1/4 mile

  20. #20
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Disneyland
    Posts
    2,661

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sportbike View Post
    Looks like Harbor Freight has a knock-off now.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/adjusta...ngtable-022014


    Not sure why the price is the same as the original..kind of defeats the purpose of Harbor Freight.
    http://store.cyberweld.com/webehabe300.html
    True, but a sale plus a nice 25% coupon can help. I wonder what the quality is like. I'll have to take a look when they show up at the stores.
    Long arc, short arc, heliarc and in-the-dark!

Similar Threads

  1. Tried my hand at copper welding today
    By Kevin Caron in forum Metal Art
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-06-2014, 11:10 AM
  2. Strong hand welding table clone
    By aaxiss in forum Other Custom Fabrications
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 02-24-2014, 01:49 PM
  3. Project #1 yes! A portable welding cart/table
    By ironmanjay in forum Hobyist Projects
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-01-2013, 07:46 PM
  4. Project #2 Portable welding table
    By Buzz in forum Hobyist Projects
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-16-2012, 04:18 PM
  5. Project #1 Strong Hands Nomad Welding Table Assembly
    By Powertig in forum Hobyist Projects
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-26-2011, 08:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •