Share
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 52

Thread: wrought iron fence repair: wire and settings needed.

  1. #1

    Default wrought iron fence repair: wire and settings needed.

    Big Greetings

    I'm going to be repairing an old wrought iron fence and would like some recommendations on what process/materials to use. I'll likely use my imig 200 so settings/wire recs for OUTDOOR welding is what I'm looking for. I have a bunch of ER70S wire (in the usual suspect sizes) but I'm thinking that maybe a dual shield wire would be better for outdoor welding. ????

    FWIW, the square tubing I'm repairing into is somewhat "worn". i.e. a bit rusty inside. This is mostly a cosmetic repair for now.

    thanks a bunch!
    JohnG
    Last edited by johnnymg; 07-26-2013 at 09:39 PM.
    imig 200
    PowerTig 210 EXT

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Disneyland
    Posts
    2,661

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johnnymg View Post
    Big Greetings

    I'm going to be repairing an old wrought iron fence and would like some recommendations on what process/materials to use. I'll likely use my imig 200 so settings/wire recs for OUTDOOR welding is what I'm looking for. I have a bunch of ER70S wire (in the usual suspect sizes) but I'm thinking that maybe a dual shield wire would be better for outdoor welding. ????

    FWIW, the square tubing I'm repairing into is somewhat "worn". i.e. a bit rusty inside. This is mostly a cosmetic repair for now.
    Too bad it really isn't "wrought iron" but steel tubing instead. The iron would be easy. I just finished up a bit of that work with both stick and TIG but no MIG. The real problem is that the rust makes the tubing all different thicknesses. So expect to be tweaking settings as you move along. Try to figure out the real thin pieces if you can before welding. Tapping on them can help as the sound will change. If you have some scraps you have cut off, that will help but if not, dial your settings back and sneak up on it to prevent blowing through. Flux core would be nice if there is wind, but then your post weld cleanup will be a pain. I would first try to set up something to shield you from the breeze if it's not too bad. Just a tarp or a sheet of plywood can make all the difference.
    Long arc, short arc, heliarc and in-the-dark!

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rambozo View Post
    Too bad it really isn't "wrought iron" but steel tubing instead. The iron would be easy. I just finished up a bit of that work with both stick and TIG but no MIG. The real problem is that the rust makes the tubing all different thicknesses. So expect to be tweaking settings as you move along. Try to figure out the real thin pieces if you can before welding. Tapping on them can help as the sound will change. If you have some scraps you have cut off, that will help but if not, dial your settings back and sneak up on it to prevent blowing through. Flux core would be nice if there is wind, but then your post weld cleanup will be a pain. I would first try to set up something to shield you from the breeze if it's not too bad. Just a tarp or a sheet of plywood can make all the difference.
    Yes, this old fence is just plain steel square tubing.

    Hmmmmm, I have some unopened 3/32" 7018. Do you think that would work or will I likely need even thinner rod. The tubing is pretty thin. I do have a bunch of "spare" tubing so have plenty of practice material.

    One additional plus for the stick process is that I wouldn't have to transport a gas bottle 400+ miles to the job site.

    regards
    JohnG
    imig 200
    PowerTig 210 EXT

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    1,323

    Default

    What kind of joints, just for curiosity? I'm wondering if a 6013 electrode for low penetration might help. I've seen them in 1/16".
    DaveO
    Oxweld oxy acet gear
    IMIG 200
    PowerTIG 210 EXT... Amazing!

  5. #5

    Default

    If you are joining any cast iron decorations, use 6011 to join it, don't use mig wire or you'll rue the day.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by performance View Post
    If you are joining any cast iron decorations, use 6011 to join it, don't use mig wire or you'll rue the day.
    Good point about MIG and cast iron. I've heard that can have issues. What exactly is going on that can make a MIG welded cast iron part problematic?

  7. #7

    Default

    If this is thin rusted square tubibg, I would start at 14 volts and 190-200 on the speed, test a piece. Adjust volts up from there. And I would use flux core if outside. Are there cast iron parts like the thread states??
    Mike R.
    Email: admineverlast@everlastwelders.com
    www.everlastgenerators.com
    www.everlastwelders.com
    877-755-9353 x203
    M-F 12 - 7PM PST
    FYI: PP50, PP80, IMIG-200, IMIG-250P, 210EXT and 255EXT.

  8. #8

    Default

    The wire "chemistry" shrinks at a different rate than the cast, mainly because of the higher carbon content so, naturally it is going to pull apart on the weakest part, which is the cast. 6011, though not for structural cast welds, has carbon in the flux, and though I am no expert on it, it must mix into the metal making a transition somehow,that's more solid. Of course, nickel rods are the best way to do it.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by everlastsupport View Post
    If this is thin rusted square tubibg, I would start at 14 volts and 190-200 on the speed, test a piece. Adjust volts up from there. And I would use flux core if outside. Are there cast iron parts like the thread states??
    Thanks for all of the suggestions!

    Very sorry for the misdirect: There is no "wrought iron" on this fence............ just plain old thin-wall steel square tubing. Tubing wall thickness is around 1/16".

    So flux core MIG or stick...............?????

    regards
    JohnG
    imig 200
    PowerTig 210 EXT

  10. #10

    Default

    If you are going to use flux core, make sure you practice with it a bit first, it welds differently than using solid wire and gas.
    Everlast 200DX
    Everlast PT185
    Shoptask 3-in-1 (not currently in my garage, but I own it...)

    Any day on a motorcycle like this that ends just needing parts and labor is a good day.
    4.82, 158.67mph 1/8th mile 7.350, 200.35mph 1/4 mile

  11. #11

    Default

    I'd use .030 flux core in the mig welder.
    2013 250EX : SSC Pedal : I-MIG 250P 20' Profax gun : Power Plasma 60 p80 torch : 3M Speedglas 9100XX : Evolution Rage 3 DB cold saw

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johnnymg View Post
    Thanks for all of the suggestions!

    Very sorry for the misdirect: There is no "wrought iron" on this fence............ just plain old thin-wall steel square tubing. Tubing wall thickness is around 1/16".

    So flux core MIG or stick...............?????

    regards
    JohnG
    MIG and flux core .030 start low on volts if 1/16" and work up. The IMIG 200 will handle it with no problems, just a little tweaking on volts.

    Stick will work fine as well, but if you are asking for settings, I think you will like MIG better. MIG will spoil you.
    Mike R.
    Email: admineverlast@everlastwelders.com
    www.everlastgenerators.com
    www.everlastwelders.com
    877-755-9353 x203
    M-F 12 - 7PM PST
    FYI: PP50, PP80, IMIG-200, IMIG-250P, 210EXT and 255EXT.

  13. #13

    Default

    Thanks again for all of the suggestions. I will order (or pick up) a roll of 0.030" flux cored wire. Will report back with the results of the practice welds.

    cheers
    JohnG
    imig 200
    PowerTig 210 EXT

  14. #14

    Default

    I'm going against the grain! I hate flux core wire! I use copper wire and drag the bottle and welder using my cart made from a cheapo northern tool dolley. The good thing about the Imig is that you can do both mig and stick weld.

    A while back I did some fence repair that had aluminum cast parts that will not mig weld!
    Lincoln Eagle Engine Drive
    Everlast MTS 250
    Everlast Power Tig 225lx
    HTP Mig 2400
    Everlast Power Plasma 60C --> Just need to finish my CNC Plasma Table!
    Miller Spectrum 375 Extreme Plasma cutter
    Victor cutting torch
    HF 20 Ton Shop Press
    HF 4x6 Band Saw
    HF Air Compressor
    Northern Tool Drill Press


    www.murphywelding.com

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johnnymg View Post
    Thanks again for all of the suggestions. I will order (or pick up) a roll of 0.030" flux cored wire. Will report back with the results of the practice welds.

    cheers
    JohnG
    Don't forget to switch to DCEN for flux core.
    2013 250EX : SSC Pedal : I-MIG 250P 20' Profax gun : Power Plasma 60 p80 torch : 3M Speedglas 9100XX : Evolution Rage 3 DB cold saw

  16. #16
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Disneyland
    Posts
    2,661

    Default

    I'm siding with Sean on this, too. I hate all the post weld cleanup of flux core and most stick, so I would try solid wire MIG and something to block the wind as I mentioned before. But the biggest thing I would take away (thought I posted this before, but I guess not) is that with 400+ miles, TAKE EVERYTHING! That's a great thing about the iMIG, it does it all with one machine. You never know what you will run into and you can figure out what gives the results you want. How much clean up also depends on where and how much welding you are doing and what kind of paint is going on after. If you are gonna slap on some nice thick paint, clean up is minimal. If you're just gonna hit it with a rattle can, you will see and feel all the spatter if it's not cleaned good. Good MIG you can pretty much just stop welding, let it cool a little and paint away. Flux core or stick is chip, chip, chip, brush, brush, brush, and maybe even grind or sand here and there. Adds a lot of work if you are welding a lot, and might be in places where that's hard to do.
    Last edited by Rambozo; 07-28-2013 at 12:37 AM.
    Long arc, short arc, heliarc and in-the-dark!

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rambozo View Post
    I'm siding with Sean on this, too. I hate all the post weld cleanup of flux core and most stick, so I would try solid wire MIG and something to block the wind as I mentioned before. But the biggest thing I would take away (thought I posted this before, but I guess not) is that with 400+ miles, TAKE EVERYTHING! That's a great thing about the iMIG, it does it all with one machine. You never know what you will run into and you can figure out what gives the results you want. How much clean up also depends on where and how much welding you are doing and what kind of paint is going on after. If you are gonna slap on some nice thick paint, clean up is minimal. If you're just gonna hit it with a rattle can, you will see and feel all the spatter if it's not cleaned good. Good MIG you can pretty much just stop welding, let it cool a little and paint away. Flux core or stick is chip, chip, chip, brush, brush, brush, and maybe even grind or sand here and there. Adds a lot of work if you are welding a lot, and might be in places where that's hard to do.
    OK, there's some good input!

    Other than the bottle transport I'm OK with the plan to try both "plain" and flux core wire. I may have to bite the bullet and get a C25 bottle at the second location. That would give me some options I don't have right now.

    cheers
    JohnG
    imig 200
    PowerTig 210 EXT

  18. #18
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Disneyland
    Posts
    2,661

    Default

    Portability is nice.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cart 026.JPG 
Views:	257 
Size:	130.0 KB 
ID:	10346

    You can either get a small C25 bottle for that purpose or you can also get a very small CO2 setup that uses paintball cyls that you can have filled at a lot of sporting goods stores and stuff. Not as clean as C25 but super portable. Have a look.

    http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/...er-210mvp.html
    Long arc, short arc, heliarc and in-the-dark!

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Whine Country, California
    Posts
    442

    Default

    I think it really depends on just how much welding you have to do. If there isn't much and it's all thin wall, I'd try to use the flux core setup, assuming you can get a grinder with a wire wheel into all the spots to quickly clean the slag off. Do you have a ton of short beads to do, or is this more of a minor repair every 15 feet (for example)?
    Andy
    New Everlast PowerTig 250EX that is begging for me to come up with a few welding projects so it can stretch it's legs. Did someone say aluminum???

    MISC. TOOLS:
    Atlas 618 lathe
    Milwaukee Porta Band with custom made stand
    Dewalt 4-1/2" angle grinder
    Dewalt 14" chop saw

    Strong Hand Nomad portable table
    Juki sewing machine I've had for years (yes I know sewing is for girls)

  20. #20

    Default

    I would always prefer C25, BUT make sure you take the flux core. Also, add a fire extinguisher to your check list and welding blanket.

    I've actually sat in a modified refrigerator cardboard box for a wind block (keep an eye for fire)

    Maybe some 1/2" painters masking tape and anti-spatter spray if you really think there will be that much spatter. I use a small hobart with flux core all the time and other than a wire wheel, looks fine for paint.
    Mike R.
    Email: admineverlast@everlastwelders.com
    www.everlastgenerators.com
    www.everlastwelders.com
    877-755-9353 x203
    M-F 12 - 7PM PST
    FYI: PP50, PP80, IMIG-200, IMIG-250P, 210EXT and 255EXT.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-29-2012, 03:09 AM
  2. Vice Repair - cast iron welding
    By jakeru in forum Welding Repairs
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-23-2012, 03:03 AM
  3. Wire and breaker size needed for a new outlet for the 200DX
    By Joe from NY in forum TIG Welding (GTAW/GTAW-P)
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-08-2012, 06:16 PM
  4. bandsaw repair, cast iron
    By starvingartist in forum Welding Repairs
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-24-2011, 02:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •