Share
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Great idea!

  1. #1

    Default Great idea!


    I thought this was a great idea so I thought I would share

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Eastern Oregon
    Posts
    681

    Default

    Not bad, I wonder if it could be improved so that you don't have to keep bending the spring clamps. I think even the quality ones would weaken and break after several cycles.
    Penncrest Buzzbox - Infinite amp control! Man the 70's were good.
    Everlast Powerplasma 60 - Reliable unit, cuts well.
    Everlast i-MIG 250P w/spoolgun - Really smooth, plenty of cajones.
    Everlast 250EXT - Sometimes it just takes a kick in the balls...
    Everlast 255EXT - Just started playing

  3. #3

    Default

    That is a great idea, will have to try that. I can see expanding on the idea as well - Thanks for posting!!

    Cheers

    Mike

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Disneyland
    Posts
    2,661

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by redbeard View Post
    Not bad, I wonder if it could be improved so that you don't have to keep bending the spring clamps. I think even the quality ones would weaken and break after several cycles.
    How about attaching the spring clamps on with some ball & socket joints, like this? Just add wing nuts.

    Long arc, short arc, heliarc and in-the-dark!

  5. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rambozo View Post
    How about attaching the spring clamps on with some ball & socket joints, like this? Just add wing nuts.

    That would only work until the ball joints loosened up and and didn't have any stiction left in them. It would probably hold up for a while until the clamps just started flapping around, but in the long run you need something with an adjustable amount of friction built in.
    Poewr I-Mig 205P
    Powertig 185

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Disneyland
    Posts
    2,661

    Default

    A hammer will restore the friction in a ball joint, very quickly.
    Long arc, short arc, heliarc and in-the-dark!

  7. Default

    Yes, but it would be easier to just buy 3 hinges. One large like he shows in the video and two smaller ones to mount the clamps to. Drill out the 3 center pins and replace all 3 with bolts. Mount the 2 smaller hinges to the large one and mount the clamps to the smaller hinges. Now you have a fully articulating mounting system with adjustable friction in all directions. I've found the less I have to beat things with a hammer to make them work, the longer they tend to last.
    Poewr I-Mig 205P
    Powertig 185

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by agent4573 View Post
    Yes, but it would be easier to just buy 3 hinges. One large like he shows in the video and two smaller ones to mount the clamps to. Drill out the 3 center pins and replace all 3 with bolts. Mount the 2 smaller hinges to the large one and mount the clamps to the smaller hinges. Now you have a fully articulating mounting system with adjustable friction in all directions. I've found the less I have to beat things with a hammer to make them work, the longer they tend to last.
    Yep that is a great idea.... I think I have all the parts too... guess I will be building one of these too.

    Actually this would make a good Christmas present... might have to build a couple if it works well.
    Everlast PowerTig 200DX
    Everlast Supercut 50P
    I need a MIG.... which one to buy:
    I-Mig 160, I-Mig 200, or a MTS 160

  9. Default

    I'll pm you my address
    Poewr I-Mig 205P
    Powertig 185

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Eastern Oregon
    Posts
    681

    Default

    If there was a tiny version of the ball joint on this mini vise available, that would be ideal, and I'm sure many other uses for it could be found as well.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mini_Vacuum_Vise_2.jpg 
Views:	285 
Size:	18.0 KB 
ID:	8678
    Penncrest Buzzbox - Infinite amp control! Man the 70's were good.
    Everlast Powerplasma 60 - Reliable unit, cuts well.
    Everlast i-MIG 250P w/spoolgun - Really smooth, plenty of cajones.
    Everlast 250EXT - Sometimes it just takes a kick in the balls...
    Everlast 255EXT - Just started playing

  11. Default

    That is a really cool idea, gonna have to make me a few of those. Some type of magnetic base to hold them up would be even cooler.

    Glenn

Similar Threads

  1. ??Rod Dryer Idea??
    By smithkf4gyp in forum Tips & Tricks, Custom Tools, Safety, Ideas and Reviews.
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-18-2018, 11:55 PM
  2. Air dyer idea
    By Gman in forum Everlast Plasma Cutters (PAC)
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-14-2013, 10:54 PM
  3. Any idea what this is?
    By willida in forum TIG Welding (GTAW/GTAW-P)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-23-2012, 03:18 AM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-07-2011, 04:34 PM
  5. newbie with no idea
    By mrmuddy76 in forum TIG Welding (GTAW/GTAW-P)
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-11-2009, 03:36 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •