Share
Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Power Pro 205 -- Plasma Question

  1. #1

    Default Power Pro 205 -- Plasma Question

    I found myself running into a problem and maybe someone can help me out.

    When I try plasma cutting, sometimes it will cut fine and sometimes it will pilot arc and then goes out and sets off the warning light on the machine. I cannot try to plasma cut again until I shut of the machine and turn it back on.

    My air pressure is good, and amperage is high enough. Torch is negative and ground is clean. I just can't seem to get it to plasma cut for longer than 3" because the warning light always comes on and sets the machine to safe mode.

    Any suggestions?
    Brandon Raineri
    The Pennsylvania State University
    Studying Industrial Engineering

    Everlast PowerPro 205
    Everlast I-Mig 200
    SpeedGlas 9100x
    Milwaukee 14" Dry Cut Saw
    Craftsman 6"x48" Belt Sander with 9" Disc Sander

  2. Default

    Are all the other knobs turned all the way down when you try to cut? From reading around this site, that appears to be a gotcha for a few people that can't get the plasma to cut right. Not exactly the problem you describe, but it may be worth trying.
    Poewr I-Mig 205P
    Powertig 185

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by agent4573 View Post
    Are all the other knobs turned all the way down when you try to cut? From reading around this site, that appears to be a gotcha for a few people that can't get the plasma to cut right. Not exactly the problem you describe, but it may be worth trying.
    No I did not change any of the other knobs. I can give that a try and see what happens.
    Brandon Raineri
    The Pennsylvania State University
    Studying Industrial Engineering

    Everlast PowerPro 205
    Everlast I-Mig 200
    SpeedGlas 9100x
    Milwaukee 14" Dry Cut Saw
    Craftsman 6"x48" Belt Sander with 9" Disc Sander

  4. #4

    Default

    I had the same problem this weekend cutting some 1/8" sheet steel and the torch would turn start with the arc then about 1-2 seconds it would shut off then start again and repeat the cycle. If I had it on the metal and started the cut it would sometimes stay on and continue the cut. I troubleshot it with the manual that wasn't very helpful, changed the nozzle and electrode made sure the would move/spring back and free, reassembled and not difference checked all connections, PSI on air in and ground. Got there the cuts I needed to make but they looked pretty rough. Will try the knob adjustments suggested. Thanks.
    Everlast PP205
    MillerMatic 212
    HD OxyAcetylene set
    Jet Horizontal/Vertical bandsaw

  5. Default

    Did either of you two get it to work properly? I'm interested in the results.
    Poewr I-Mig 205P
    Powertig 185

  6. #6

    Default

    Unfortunately I have not had time to test as Im back to college. I was just home for a break to make something. I will try it sometime in December and get back to you. I am going to try the knob idea and see how that works. It is weird, it will randomly just stop the cut after 2 seconds, sometimes it goes into safe mode and sometimes you can try again.

    Longest cut I was able to get was approx 24" in 16ga aluminum. But most of the time it does the weird safe mode thing.
    Brandon Raineri
    The Pennsylvania State University
    Studying Industrial Engineering

    Everlast PowerPro 205
    Everlast I-Mig 200
    SpeedGlas 9100x
    Milwaukee 14" Dry Cut Saw
    Craftsman 6"x48" Belt Sander with 9" Disc Sander

  7. #7

    Default

    I will tonight after work.
    Everlast PP205
    MillerMatic 212
    HD OxyAcetylene set
    Jet Horizontal/Vertical bandsaw

  8. #8

    Default

    Alright let me know how it works
    Brandon Raineri
    The Pennsylvania State University
    Studying Industrial Engineering

    Everlast PowerPro 205
    Everlast I-Mig 200
    SpeedGlas 9100x
    Milwaukee 14" Dry Cut Saw
    Craftsman 6"x48" Belt Sander with 9" Disc Sander

  9. #9

    Default

    Just got done with some test cuts and it worked perfectly. Strange that every knob had to be turned to its lowest value except amps setting but it worked. Thanks for the fix.
    Everlast PP205
    MillerMatic 212
    HD OxyAcetylene set
    Jet Horizontal/Vertical bandsaw

  10. #10

    Default

    Good to know, I will deffinately post back on here when I get a chance to try the knob trick. If it does turn out to be the fix, it is probably something worth mentioning in the instruction manual.
    Brandon Raineri
    The Pennsylvania State University
    Studying Industrial Engineering

    Everlast PowerPro 205
    Everlast I-Mig 200
    SpeedGlas 9100x
    Milwaukee 14" Dry Cut Saw
    Craftsman 6"x48" Belt Sander with 9" Disc Sander

  11. #11

    Default

    Well I thought I'd post up on my results.

    Turned all of the knobs to 0 except the amperage setting I wanted to run. I was able to run the machine perfectly. Cut up a bunch of 1/8" angle to make a stand for my belt sander. I would have cut it with my dry cut but it seemed to have a high carbon content and cutting was difficult so I stopped before damaging an expensive blade.

    Anyways with the knobs turned "off" everything worked great. Sometimes it would have problems making the arc continue after the pilot arc, but whenever I turned up the amperage by 2amps that went away. I was using approximately 38 amps to cut the material with at least 60psi.

    I did have a problem with the water trap leaking air around the fittings. They seem to be straight cut threads and to me need an o-ring but an o-ring there and it still leaked. I ended up just wrapping the fittings with a bunch of teflon tape and no leaks at 60 psi. Hope this helps someone. If I get a chance Ill post some pictures of my stand for the belt sander in the projects section. Unfortunately I did not have pictures throughout the whole process.
    Brandon Raineri
    The Pennsylvania State University
    Studying Industrial Engineering

    Everlast PowerPro 205
    Everlast I-Mig 200
    SpeedGlas 9100x
    Milwaukee 14" Dry Cut Saw
    Craftsman 6"x48" Belt Sander with 9" Disc Sander

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scootarida1 View Post
    Well I thought I'd post up on my results.

    Turned all of the knobs to 0 except the amperage setting I wanted to run. I was able to run the machine perfectly. Cut up a bunch of 1/8" angle to make a stand for my belt sander. I would have cut it with my dry cut but it seemed to have a high carbon content and cutting was difficult so I stopped before damaging an expensive blade.

    Anyways with the knobs turned "off" everything worked great. Sometimes it would have problems making the arc continue after the pilot arc, but whenever I turned up the amperage by 2amps that went away. I was using approximately 38 amps to cut the material with at least 60psi.

    I did have a problem with the water trap leaking air around the fittings. They seem to be straight cut threads and to me need an o-ring but an o-ring there and it still leaked. I ended up just wrapping the fittings with a bunch of teflon tape and no leaks at 60 psi. Hope this helps someone. If I get a chance Ill post some pictures of my stand for the belt sander in the projects section. Unfortunately I did not have pictures throughout the whole process.
    Turn the postflow up fairly high to cool the consumables after a cut and make them last longer. The trap threads are bspp and need an o-ring or gasket to seal. You can swap the fitting for a 1/4 npt with no teflon tape but don't over tighten or you may crack the housing.
    2013 250EX : SSC Pedal : I-MIG 250P 20' Profax gun : Power Plasma 60 p80 torch : 3M Speedglas 9100XX : Evolution Rage 3 DB cold saw

  13. Default

    Glad to hear that's all it was. Definitely on my list of things to buy next year.
    Poewr I-Mig 205P
    Powertig 185

  14. #14

    Default

    Yeah I was glad to.

    FWIW if you go into the wood section with the select wooden boards, there are some smaller 3/8" thick boards I found and used my miter saw to cut some 45* into them and then use that as a guide to cut on. The 3/8" thick seemed to be perfect for standoff as well. I originally had 1/2" thick and it burned up an electrode pretty quick.

    Also yeah I have seen with the post flow for extra cooling. My cuts were only 2" in 11 gauge and plenty of time in between them so the post flow didn't seem like it was needed as much for me. If i was going thicker I would deffinately turn up the post flow.
    Brandon Raineri
    The Pennsylvania State University
    Studying Industrial Engineering

    Everlast PowerPro 205
    Everlast I-Mig 200
    SpeedGlas 9100x
    Milwaukee 14" Dry Cut Saw
    Craftsman 6"x48" Belt Sander with 9" Disc Sander

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scootarida1 View Post
    Also yeah I have seen with the post flow for extra cooling. My cuts were only 2" in 11 gauge and plenty of time in between them so the post flow didn't seem like it was needed as much for me. If i was going thicker I would deffinately turn up the post flow.
    Which plasma torch do you have ?
    2013 250EX : SSC Pedal : I-MIG 250P 20' Profax gun : Power Plasma 60 p80 torch : 3M Speedglas 9100XX : Evolution Rage 3 DB cold saw

  16. #16

    Default

    Torch is the S45
    Brandon Raineri
    The Pennsylvania State University
    Studying Industrial Engineering

    Everlast PowerPro 205
    Everlast I-Mig 200
    SpeedGlas 9100x
    Milwaukee 14" Dry Cut Saw
    Craftsman 6"x48" Belt Sander with 9" Disc Sander

Similar Threads

  1. 256 Plasma Question
    By wheelrdealer in forum Multi-Process Units (TIG,Stick,Plasma/MIG,TIG,Stick Combo units)
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 04-17-2013, 06:59 PM
  2. Power Plasma 50 plasma cutter....
    By CGCINC in forum Customer Testimonials
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-20-2012, 01:58 PM
  3. Power Plasma 50 Question
    By morgaj1 in forum Everlast Plasma Cutters (PAC)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-11-2011, 02:59 AM
  4. Power Plasma 50 Post Flow Air Question
    By cpierce18 in forum Everlast Plasma Cutters (PAC)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-28-2010, 04:02 PM
  5. Question about 2 pin connector on the Power Plasma
    By I_Love_Plasma in forum Everlast Plasma Cutters (PAC)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-13-2010, 12:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •