Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: tungsten choice

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ski View Post
    Not knocking you but I tried that years ago with a chisel, grinding up. It caught the wheel, flipped the chisel right out of my hand and threw it across the room. Ever since then I grind down or true. Spooked the crap out of me... Don't know if it was a fluke or a safety issue. I guess you live long enough you see lots of stuff.
    That method is the way they recommend grinding tungsten...I recall something about less contamination that way. It works ok, but I'm sure you could screw up and flip one out. Not had a problem so far.

ken
    UNT 520D plasma/stick/tig; Hobart Handler 140 Mig; HF 80amp stick welder; Victor O/A; 4x6 Horizontal bandsaw; Planishing hammer; & Stuff

Red neck tungstenClick image for larger version. 

Name:	engine rebuild and installs 001.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	144.6 KB 
ID:	7001Click image for larger version. 

Name:	engine rebuild and installs 002.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	140.5 KB 
ID:	7002 grinder works good lol
    EVERLAST 250 EX , EVERLAST I-MIG 205 , EVERLAST spool gun NOW have 2 EVERLAST POWER PLASMA 50 plasma cutter's , LINCOLN 175HD MIG WELDER , VICTOR TORCH SET and many more tools to many to list

Quote Originally Posted by Rodsmachineshop View Post
    Red neck tungsten grinder works good lol
    Was your monitor about to turn over... you have a lot of weight bearing on it. Name:  tease[1].gif
Views: 851
Size:  7.9 KB
    2013 250EX : SSC Pedal : I-MIG 250P 20' Profax gun : Power Plasma 60 p80 torch : 3M Speedglas 9100XX : Evolution Rage 3 DB cold saw

Not knocking you but I tried that years ago with a chisel, grinding up. It caught the wheel, flipped the chisel right out of my hand and threw it across the room. Ever since then I grind down or true. Spooked the crap out of me... Don't know if it was a fluke or a safety issue. I guess you live long enough you see lots of stuff.
    I don't want to sound preachy or anything either but grinders can kick back as much as a bench saw can. The difference here, of course, is that when you are sharpening something, the object that can kick back has that sharp edge and point. Everyone here wears a full face guard when sharpening, right? Be careful out there. I really don't want to hear about anyone from this forum getting hurt. I'm done. Back to your regularly scheduled programming .....
    Is it OK to want to break something just so that you can weld it back together?

Everlast PowerTIG 185 Micro IGBT AC/DC Welder

5. Default

looks good from here. seven inch grinding disc works well. so does breaking off the end by whacking it with a hammer on the edge of a steel table. then balling it.

die grinder with wheel worked well.

bosch belt sander with trigger lock even better. sat perfectly flat when it was upside down. used that till i bought tungsten grinder.

tungsten grinding. it doesn't have to be, in most cases, so complicated. like one guy wrote; i used a rock. lol
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0140.JPG 
Views:	157 
Size:	46.0 KB 
ID:	7003   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010590.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	35.0 KB 
ID:	7005  

Quote Originally Posted by fdcmiami View Post
    looks good from here. seven inch grinding disc works well. so does breaking off the end by whacking it with a hammer on the edge of a steel table. then balling it.
    Have you tried breaking 2% lanthanated ? The times I've tried, it splintered lengthwise.
    2013 250EX : SSC Pedal : I-MIG 250P 20' Profax gun : Power Plasma 60 p80 torch : 3M Speedglas 9100XX : Evolution Rage 3 DB cold saw

7. Default

ha, you got me. lol. the 2 percent lanthanated tungsten is pretty new. when we were welding with transformer machines this method was pretty common. give it a smack with a hammer, turn the amps up, throw it on dcep, boom. back to work. i here you with the lan. it's like licorice. thanks for reality check.

Jerry's hardware didn't have what I want ...but ... red neck tungsten grinder ... ah ha ... I have a dremmel tool on a flex handle with speed control ... PERFECT! Thanks Rod ...you gave me a gr8 idea! I might change to a different tip but the idea is sound. Safe and effective ... I love it.
    Last edited by Winky; 06-10-2012 at 03:37 AM.
    Powertig 200DX
    Lincoln 180c
    Hobart Handler 125
    Miller Thunderbolt
    and a bunch of other tools

yes the little diamond disk and arbor are real cheap
    EVERLAST 250 EX , EVERLAST I-MIG 205 , EVERLAST spool gun NOW have 2 EVERLAST POWER PLASMA 50 plasma cutter's , LINCOLN 175HD MIG WELDER , VICTOR TORCH SET and many more tools to many to list

Rod URA genius
    Powertig 200DX
    Lincoln 180c
    Hobart Handler 125
    Miller Thunderbolt

Problem with them, everytime they go on sale I buy a pack. I have at least 10 "5 packs" now and I give them away all the time to people. They work great, last a fair time and will not fly apart on you either (metal disc). Thanks for sharing the red-neck tungsten grinder Rod (and if it gets contaminated, cheap to change to a new disk).

HF Sidewalk sale today. I guess I have to go. The 27 LED magnetic light work lights are handy as heck too, one feature they neglect to mention about them, they can disappear. I would bet there are cars, trucks, trailers, etc driving down the road right now with one under it when dead batteries.

BOT, if you search there are other threads with PVC/grinder sharpeners.
    Mike R.
    Email: admineverlast@everlastwelders.com
    www.everlastgenerators.com
    www.everlastwelders.com
    877-755-9353 x203
    M-F 12 - 7PM PST
    FYI: PP50, PP80, IMIG-200, IMIG-250P, 210EXT and 255EXT.

Mark likes, and I liked Chem-sharp. I have not tried it since I went to lantanated electrodes. Will have to see if it works with them. Chem-sharp when you get the hang of it is nice compared to grinding. I used to sit and sharpen them all at one, thought it is quick to heat and dip while in the middle of a project.

Older threads on sharpening.

http://www.everlastgenerators.com/fo...earchid=271325
    http://www.everlastgenerators.com/fo...325&pp=&page=2
    Mike R.
    www.everlastwelders.com
    877-755-9353 x203
    M-F 12 - 7PM PST

Quote Originally Posted by everlastsupport View Post
    Mark likes, and I liked Chem-sharp. I have not tried it since I went to lantanated electrodes. Will have to see if it works with them. Chem-sharp when you get the hang of it is nice compared to grinding. I used to sit and sharpen them all at one, thought it is quick to heat and dip while in the middle of a project.
    Always learning... Did a quick search... Ran across this... Chemically mills a perfect point on pure, thoriated or titanium type tungsten.
    Here is a video... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSSaJ-Ke7as
    Shade tree MIG welder.
    Now a Shade tree TIG welder.

14. Default

Always learning... Did a quick search... Ran across this... Chemically mills a perfect point on pure, thoriated or titanium type tungsten.
    Here is a video... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSSaJ-Ke7as
    Man that's wild.. Wonder if you can take a handful of Tungsten's and sharpen them all at once with that method
    New to welding!
    Lots of Snap-On tools
    In need of more toys

lol all chem sharp is .Is Sodium Nitrite very cheap to buy but must be stored in a plastic or glass container . do not stored in metal containers . its used for meat processing and curing meats like beef jerky and hams
    Last edited by Rodsmachineshop; 06-10-2012 at 11:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ncsugrad2006 View Post
    Man that's wild.. Wonder if you can take a handful of Tungsten's and sharpen them all at once with that method
    A few at a time might work via torch. The salts will harden and thicken around where you drop it in. So I doubt you can do a lot at a time. The jar is like 3" in diameter or pour it into something else. It does work.

And done I have heated it with the 250EX many times in the past and never damaged the "equipment".
    Mike R.
    www.everlastwelders.com
    877-755-9353 x203
    M-F 12 - 7PM PST

Wow. That's a new one I haven't heard of. Pretty cool to watch. Given it's a chemical reaction, I guess it becomes less and less effective or clean as you use it and you need to use a fresh batch? Can you scoop out the undesirable bits like kitty litter?
    Is it OK to want to break something just so that you can weld it back together?

Everlast PowerTIG 185 Micro IGBT AC/DC Welder

Quote Originally Posted by undercut View Post
    Wow. That's a new one I haven't heard of. Pretty cool to watch. Given it's a chemical reaction, I guess it becomes less and less effective or clean as you use it and you need to use a fresh batch? Can you scoop out the undesirable bits like kitty litter?
    I've heard of it ... been around for a while ... today I found a 100 grt 6" wheel mounted it and to my surprise it ran true and didn't need to be dressed ... I'll probably make a guide so when I dress my tungsten it will start to form a groove ... I'm all set for my new 200DX. ooo-rah.
    Powertig 200DX
    Lincoln 180c
    Hobart Handler 125
    Miller Thunderbolt

Quote Originally Posted by undercut View Post
    Yep. Been told you can break it back up, but I have always pitched the chunks.
    Mike R.
    www.everlastwelders.com
    877-755-9353 x203
    M-F 12 - 7PM PST

I may have to grab a container or two of that chemsharp for field use. Have a scratch start setup for my diesel welder and it looks like that's going to eat electrodes in a hurry. S/F.....Ken M
    Lincoln Power MIG 300
    Everlast 160STH
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (sold it)
    Lincoln Squarewave 175 TIG(traded it for)
    Miller DEL 200 welder/genset
    Thermal Dynamics 1250XL plasma cutter
    Miller XMT300