Share
Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Mig welding practice over the weekend

  1. #1

    Default Mig welding practice over the weekend

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_2756.jpg 
Views:	418 
Size:	148.2 KB 
ID:	3272Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_2770.jpg 
Views:	366 
Size:	148.1 KB 
ID:	3273Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_2772.jpg 
Views:	514 
Size:	147.4 KB 
ID:	3274Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_2760.jpg 
Views:	379 
Size:	148.6 KB 
ID:	3275Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_2755.jpg 
Views:	421 
Size:	148.8 KB 
ID:	3276Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_2769.jpg 
Views:	353 
Size:	149.0 KB 
ID:	3277Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_2773.jpg 
Views:	436 
Size:	147.3 KB 
ID:	3278Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_2774.jpg 
Views:	361 
Size:	148.9 KB 
ID:	3279

    The band saw blades are approximately 1/16" thick. The shiny welded angle piece (100_2755.jpg) is 1/8" thick. Chain link was cut on both sides. The pack of welded band saw blades is composed of 4 1/16" thick blades. The two bolts (one welded parallel and the other perpendicular to the steel base pic 100_2760.jpg) are 1/2" diameter. The tin can was obliviously too thin for 30amps and .035 wire. The part of a bolt (pic 100_2774.jpg) is 3/8" diameter.

    Half decent welds for a young guy that has done less than 20 small projects in his lifetime...

    I am using this project as "project 1."
    Last edited by MigPlazArc; 09-24-2011 at 02:22 PM.
    Benjamin

    Owner of IMIG 200 and half owner of Power Plasma 50

    https://www.facebook.com/BenjaminRootPhotography

  2. #2

    Default

    Next time, try cleaning up the metal before welding if you can. I think that it makes a big difference and makes it easier to see how well the weld was I think. Other than that, good job..
    Jason
    Everlast 255EXT - Perfection
    Everlast PowerPro 256 - UPS Demolished
    Everlast MTS200s
    12 Ton Shop Press
    DeWalt Hand Tools/ChopSaw

  3. #3

    Default

    What machine are you using ?
    Does your wire always feed smoothly ? If not you can go up a size on the tip. Some brands of flux core wire aren't very clean and uniform, causing inconsistent feed and sometimes gets stuck in the tip. I use an .045 tip with .035 flux core and it works perfectly.
    You need to keep a tight arc and move at a constant speed... and at the very least, brush the loose rust off but it's best to clean it with a grinder.
    2013 250EX : SSC Pedal : I-MIG 250P 20' Profax gun : Power Plasma 60 p80 torch : 3M Speedglas 9100XX : Evolution Rage 3 DB cold saw

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    Next time, try cleaning up the metal before welding if you can. I think that it makes a big difference and makes it easier to see how well the weld was I think. Other than that, good job..
    Thanks for the suggestion! I was just kinda practicing so I didn't clean it up much...Just enough to get an arc
    Benjamin

    Owner of IMIG 200 and half owner of Power Plasma 50

    https://www.facebook.com/BenjaminRootPhotography

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zoama585 View Post
    What machine are you using ?
    Does your wire always feed smoothly ? If not you can go up a size on the tip. Some brands of flux core wire aren't very clean and uniform, causing inconsistent feed and sometimes gets stuck in the tip. I use an .045 tip with .035 flux core and it works perfectly.
    You need to keep a tight arc and move at a constant speed... and at the very least, brush the loose rust off but it's best to clean it with a grinder.
    Thanks! I was just practicing so I didn't do much to it... What brand wire do you use? Got Praxair and it is so dirty that it plugged up the sleeve back by the welder...It's a thick bread dough like stuff. Ended up putting a wire cut off in a drill and boring through the junk. It took several passes, but it got most of it out. Afterwards I was able to turn the feed rate down to 4.5 from 6 lol. Hobart Handler 120 and It's just about ready to blow up lol. Yes, it normally does feed smoothly, but I just don't have much practice... The only time it gets stuck is when I manage to accidentally burn the wire up to the tip . On 100_2755.jpg it just looks rusty from the burning flux and the wire brush which I used on other rusty metal The rest are rusty...
    Last edited by MigPlazArc; 09-24-2011 at 01:40 AM.
    Benjamin

    Owner of IMIG 200 and half owner of Power Plasma 50

    https://www.facebook.com/BenjaminRootPhotography

  6. #6

    Default

    Need to do some more practicing this weekend...
    Benjamin

    Owner of IMIG 200 and half owner of Power Plasma 50

    https://www.facebook.com/BenjaminRootPhotography

  7. #7

    Default

    I am not sure on the brand of wire as I own a TIG and my friend owns the MIG. I think he did get it at praxair though and I know he gets other stuff from there.
    Jason
    Everlast 255EXT - Perfection
    Everlast PowerPro 256 - UPS Demolished
    Everlast MTS200s
    12 Ton Shop Press
    DeWalt Hand Tools/ChopSaw

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    I am not sure on the brand of wire as I own a TIG and my friend owns the MIG. I think he did get it at praxair though and I know he gets other stuff from there.
    Hasn't said anything about it though? When did he get it?
    Benjamin

    Owner of IMIG 200 and half owner of Power Plasma 50

    https://www.facebook.com/BenjaminRootPhotography

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MigPlazArc View Post
    Thanks! I was just practicing so I didn't do much to it... What brand wire do you use? Got Praxair and it is so dirty that it plugged up the sleeve back by the welder...It's a thick bread dough like stuff. Ended up putting a wire cut off in a drill and boring through the junk. It took several passes, but it got most of it out. Afterwards I was able to turn the feed rate down to 4.5 from 6 lol. Hobart Handler 120 and It's just about ready to blow up lol. Yes, it normally does feed smoothly, but I just don't have much practice... The only time it gets stuck is when I manage to accidentally burn the wire up to the tip . On 100_2755.jpg it just looks rusty from the burning flux and the wire brush which I used on other rusty metal The rest are rusty...
    I just went out to my shop to check the wire brand but when I opened the welder, there was no sticker on the spool (10lb). It's been a couple of years since I bought that one but I'm pretty sure I got it at Lowes. The .045 tip makes it all work right.

    Edit: It's lincoln brand and must have been on sale because I only paid $25 for it. The 10lb spool I had before that was hobart brand and it was so bad to plug the tip that I threw most of it out.
    Last edited by zoama; 09-22-2011 at 07:17 PM.
    2013 250EX : SSC Pedal : I-MIG 250P 20' Profax gun : Power Plasma 60 p80 torch : 3M Speedglas 9100XX : Evolution Rage 3 DB cold saw

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zoama585 View Post
    I just went out to my shop to check the wire brand but when I opened the welder, there was no sticker on the spool (10lb). It's been a couple of years since I bought that one but I'm pretty sure I got it at Lowes. The .045 tip makes it all work right.

    Edit: It's lincoln brand and must have been on sale because I only paid $25 for it. The 10lb spool I had before that was hobart brand and it was so bad to plug the tip that I threw most of it out.
    Okay. Is the Lincoln stuff dirty too then? If so maybe it's just the way everybody makes their wire now...Or it's all made by the same people...In China. China probably sorts out the wire and sells it according to who pays more lol
    Last edited by MigPlazArc; 09-22-2011 at 09:03 PM.
    Benjamin

    Owner of IMIG 200 and half owner of Power Plasma 50

    https://www.facebook.com/BenjaminRootPhotography

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MigPlazArc View Post
    Okay. Is the Lincoln stuff dirty too then? If so maybe it's just the way everybody makes their wire now...Or it's all made by the same people...In China. China probably sorts out the wire and sells it according to who pays more lol
    Nah, the Lincoln stuff has been pretty good and consistent.
    2013 250EX : SSC Pedal : I-MIG 250P 20' Profax gun : Power Plasma 60 p80 torch : 3M Speedglas 9100XX : Evolution Rage 3 DB cold saw

  12. #12

    Default

    Okay. Might have to try it... Got a bunch of the other junk still though.
    Benjamin

    Owner of IMIG 200 and half owner of Power Plasma 50

    https://www.facebook.com/BenjaminRootPhotography

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MigPlazArc View Post
    Hasn't said anything about it though? When did he get it?
    Nope.. We have run over a full roll fine. I asked if he ever had trouble with getting wire and where I should get it. He said praxair has some that is fine.
    Jason
    Everlast 255EXT - Perfection
    Everlast PowerPro 256 - UPS Demolished
    Everlast MTS200s
    12 Ton Shop Press
    DeWalt Hand Tools/ChopSaw

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    Nope.. We have run over a full roll fine. I asked if he ever had trouble with getting wire and where I should get it. He said praxair has some that is fine.
    Okay thanks
    Benjamin

    Owner of IMIG 200 and half owner of Power Plasma 50

    https://www.facebook.com/BenjaminRootPhotography

  15. #15

    Default

    I have to admit I run cheaper wire (Radnor and Hobart). The lowes/home depot stuff is Lincoln's "hardware grade." It's not the same stuff at the LWS. I had a customer that will only use Lincoln wire, because he ran into problems with inconsistent wire thickness. This can cause sputtering in the middle of a weld. Sometimes it pays to get good wire.
    Lincoln Eagle Engine Drive
    Everlast MTS 250
    Everlast Power Tig 225lx
    HTP Mig 2400
    Everlast Power Plasma 60C --> Just need to finish my CNC Plasma Table!
    Miller Spectrum 375 Extreme Plasma cutter
    Victor cutting torch
    HF 20 Ton Shop Press
    HF 4x6 Band Saw
    HF Air Compressor
    Northern Tool Drill Press


    www.murphywelding.com

  16. #16

    Default

    Yeah...But you got to try to see if it's good.
    Benjamin

    Owner of IMIG 200 and half owner of Power Plasma 50

    https://www.facebook.com/BenjaminRootPhotography

  17. #17

    Default

    the small lincoln spools from lowes and home depot are fairly consistent (been through 6 or 8 before I bought the I-MIG). surprisingly, though, the small spools of HF flux core (.035) are pretty decent. I didn't have any crud or feeding issues, but they don't burn in as deep as the lincoln and spatter more. I never bought a 10/11lb spool of flux core.

    I will say that washington alloy's ER70s6 is the best I've used thus far, though. washington alloy is my LWS 'house' brand (I know they're a national, but certainly not as well known as lincoln or hobart, ect). their 6011 rods are a significant improvement over lincolns fleetweld 180.
    McGuire Irvine
    Crow Motor Co.

    Lincoln powermig 225 (work)

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ogorir View Post
    the small lincoln spools from lowes and home depot are fairly consistent (been through 6 or 8 before I bought the I-MIG). surprisingly, though, the small spools of HF flux core (.035) are pretty decent. I didn't have any crud or feeding issues, but they don't burn in as deep as the lincoln and spatter more. I never bought a 10/11lb spool of flux core.

    I will say that washington alloy's ER70s6 is the best I've used thus far, though. washington alloy is my LWS 'house' brand (I know they're a national, but certainly not as well known as lincoln or hobart, ect). their 6011 rods are a significant improvement over lincolns fleetweld 180.
    Thanks! Normally get 10lb, but maybe a small one to try.
    Last edited by MigPlazArc; 09-24-2011 at 03:56 PM.
    Benjamin

    Owner of IMIG 200 and half owner of Power Plasma 50

    https://www.facebook.com/BenjaminRootPhotography

Similar Threads

  1. TIG welding practice
    By SportPilot in forum TIG Welding (GTAW/GTAW-P)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-05-2013, 04:09 AM
  2. Welding practice on Friday
    By MigPlazArc in forum Hobyist Projects
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-24-2012, 07:03 PM
  3. Some Tig Practice this Weekend
    By scootarida1 in forum TIG Welding (GTAW/GTAW-P)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-12-2011, 08:40 PM
  4. more welding practice, PP205
    By presure2 in forum General Welding Questions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-09-2011, 08:17 PM
  5. Mig welding practice over the weekend
    By MigPlazArc in forum MIG Welding (GMAW/GMAW-P/FCAW)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-20-2011, 02:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •