Share
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: practice welding question

  1. #1

    Default practice welding question

    Since this is the place... A buddy stopped by and we were talking... He said he had a job a long time ago welding at a power plant. He is a steel worker and has done some stick welding. He told me they could not start a weld and then dial it in, so they gave them these blocks. He was guessing they were about 3x5 and about 1" thick. You got a couple good welds on them and then you could start the real weld. He said after you were done you could whack the blocks on the side and welds would fall off so you could use the blocks again. He said he has never seen them since. Ever hear of such a thing???
    Shade tree MIG welder.
    Now a Shade tree TIG welder.

  2. #2

    Default

    my step dad when do steel worked work had a test like that . he said it was like welding steel but you did not get any penetration when welding the plates and he said you could use them over he had never seen anything like that before he thought was neat / had to me some special metal of some type
    EVERLAST 250 EX , EVERLAST I-MIG 205 , EVERLAST spool gun NOW have 2 EVERLAST POWER PLASMA 50 plasma cutter's , LINCOLN 175HD MIG WELDER , VICTOR TORCH SET and many more tools to many to list

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodsmachineshop View Post
    my step dad when do steel worked work had a test like that . he said it was like welding steel but you did not get any penetration when welding the plates and he said you could use them over he had never seen anything like that before he thought was neat / had to me some special metal of some type
    The only material that comes to mind would be carbon or possibly graphite plates..would like to see a set of those plates in action myself...
    Some of those lies people tell about me, are true

  4. #4

    Default

    been surfing internet sure would like to know what there made of , I also had afreind at San Onfre nucular plant they use pipes for test welding that was the same way after welding they x rayed the pipe to see how the weld was . they was reusable to weld on, frank was funny he still works there he rides up and down the cooling pipes on his back wearing a radiation suit and ultra sounding the pipes lol he glows in the dark hahahaha
    Last edited by Rodsmachineshop; 04-28-2012 at 02:22 AM.
    EVERLAST 250 EX , EVERLAST I-MIG 205 , EVERLAST spool gun NOW have 2 EVERLAST POWER PLASMA 50 plasma cutter's , LINCOLN 175HD MIG WELDER , VICTOR TORCH SET and many more tools to many to list

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by geezer View Post
    The only material that comes to mind would be carbon or possibly graphite plates..would like to see a set of those plates in action myself...
    I am thinking carbon or graphite would be brittle to knock around. I would think they would shatter... But I could be wrong... Nice to know someone else has heard of them.
    Shade tree MIG welder.
    Now a Shade tree TIG welder.

  6. #6

    Default

    I came across some sites on testing blocks welding but did not say anything about them
    EVERLAST 250 EX , EVERLAST I-MIG 205 , EVERLAST spool gun NOW have 2 EVERLAST POWER PLASMA 50 plasma cutter's , LINCOLN 175HD MIG WELDER , VICTOR TORCH SET and many more tools to many to list

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodsmachineshop View Post
    I came across some sites on testing blocks welding but did not say anything about them
    I tried doing a search and came up empty... My internet has been screwed lately... Only running for a couple minutes an hour... Nice.... They have got some problem with several channels down.
    Shade tree MIG welder.
    Now a Shade tree TIG welder.

  8. #8

    Default

    I can not see how you could visually check if no penetration. And X-ray either. Maybe something to weld and break apart just to get the feel of welding and not so much test the actual welds?

    I'll ask my Dad next time I talk to him (worked on cranes and cement plants most of his life and semi trucks).

    But I have heard every welding story he has back to 50+ years ago and he never told that one. All the pipe welding (G) tests and certs.

    And no doubt the man can weld and only requires a stick welder. I can't get him to take one our units, old school (and older now). But I know he would complain about MIG and never admit he likes the look of TIG.
    Mike R.
    Email: everlast@us-it.net
    www.everlastgenerators.com
    www.everlastwelders.com
    877-755-9353 x203
    M-F 12 - 7PM PST
    FYI: PP50, PP80, IMIG-200, IMIG-250P, 210EXT and 255EXT.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by everlastsupport View Post
    I can not see how you could visually check if no penetration. And X-ray either. Maybe something to weld and break apart just to get the feel of welding and not so much test the actual welds?

    I'll ask my Dad next time I talk to him (worked on cranes and cement plants most of his life and semi trucks).

    But I have heard every welding story he has back to 50+ years ago and he never told that one. All the pipe welding (G) tests and certs.
    I am curious. Sounds like it was not to test the welds as much as setting up the welder for it being in the right power range for maybe the rod??, but I do agree it sounds strange. He said it was only used on that one job. Never seen them used since.
    Shade tree MIG welder.
    Now a Shade tree TIG welder.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ski View Post
    I am curious. Sounds like it was not to test the welds as much as setting up the welder for it being in the right power range for maybe the rod??, but I do agree it sounds strange. He said it was only used on that one job. Never seen them used since.
    Yea, that might be it too, setting AMPS, etc. As no too people weld quite the same. Otherwise, you could just put a sticker on the front of the machines with the settings.
    Mike R.
    Email: everlast@us-it.net
    www.everlastgenerators.com
    www.everlastwelders.com
    877-755-9353 x203
    M-F 12 - 7PM PST
    FYI: PP50, PP80, IMIG-200, IMIG-250P, 210EXT and 255EXT.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Litchfield Park, AZ
    Posts
    370

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodsmachineshop View Post
    been surfing internet sure would like to know what there made of , I also had afreind at San Onfre nucular plant they use pipes for test welding that was the same way after welding they x rayed the pipe to see how the weld was . they was reusable to weld on, frank was funny he still works there he rides up and down the cooling pipes on his back wearing a radiation suit and ultra sounding the pipes lol he glows in the dark hahahaha
    Most power Nuclear Power Plants have welders weld a pipe in the 6G position for welding tests.

    At my plant we have the welders perform a TIG root and cap the joint with a few with stick passes. This is performed for both Carbon and Stainless materials and then the samples are x-rayed. Less than 30% of welders pass the test and many of these welders have 20+ years’ experience. Other plants may vary the test, just depends on what their program owner and the Level III inspector set up for the test.

    As for radiation suits, there is no such thing as a radiation suit. Most radiation nuclear workers are exposed to go through clothing (Gama Rays). The clothing is used as a cover to keep contamination (activated materials or materials giving off radiation) off of workers. By keeping the contamination off of workers, the spread of contamination is better controlled.
    Miller 252
    PowerTig 250 EXT
    Evolution Rage 2
    48X6 inch Belt Sander w/ 9 inch Disk Sander
    ...

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DVA View Post

    As for radiation suits, there is no such thing as a radiation suit. Most radiation nuclear workers are exposed to go through clothing (Gama Rays). The clothing is used as a cover to keep contamination (activated materials or materials giving off radiation) off of workers. By keeping the contamination off of workers, the spread of contamination is better controlled.
    What do they call this clothing ?
    Click for>EVERLAST YOUTUBE CHANNEL VIDEOS

    I'm not an expert or an Everlast employee, I'm just a hobby welder sharing my experience and helping where I can.

    PP 256 (SOLD) : 2013 250EX : I-MIG 250P/w 20' Profax gun : Power Plasma 60/w p80 torch : Hobart Handler 135/w 12' .023" Profax gun : 3M Speedglas 9100XX

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Litchfield Park, AZ
    Posts
    370

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zoama585 View Post
    What do they call this clothing ?
    The clothing typically called PCs (Protective Clothing). Just as someone may wear gloves to keep chemicals off of their hands, PCs are worn to keep contamination off of your own clothing and body. Most Nuclear plants use Orex now days, a clothing that melts down with hot water. This clothing is awesome for disposal issues because it drastically minimizes disposal volume compared to the older cotton clothing.

    http://www.orex.com/products-services/

    http://www.orex.com/our-technology/
    Miller 252
    PowerTig 250 EXT
    Evolution Rage 2
    48X6 inch Belt Sander w/ 9 inch Disk Sander
    ...

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Litchfield Park, AZ
    Posts
    370

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ski View Post
    Since this is the place... A buddy stopped by and we were talking... He said he had a job a long time ago welding at a power plant. He is a steel worker and has done some stick welding. He told me they could not start a weld and then dial it in, so they gave them these blocks. He was guessing they were about 3x5 and about 1" thick. You got a couple good welds on them and then you could start the real weld. He said after you were done you could whack the blocks on the side and welds would fall off so you could use the blocks again. He said he has never seen them since. Ever hear of such a thing???
    So, I looked into this and spoke with some weld engineers at work and they have not heard of this. Between the two engineers, they have over 60 years in the nuclear/power plant industry and have not come across this type of test. One of the weld engineers is a Level III inspector and both are heavily involved with welding industry standards. If they have not come across this, chances are, no such block exists.
    Miller 252
    PowerTig 250 EXT
    Evolution Rage 2
    48X6 inch Belt Sander w/ 9 inch Disk Sander
    ...

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    722

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DVA View Post
    So, I looked into this and spoke with some weld engineers at work and they have not heard of this. Between the two engineers, they have over 60 years in the nuclear/power plant industry and have not come across this type of test. One of the weld engineers is a Level III inspector and both are heavily involved with welding industry standards. If they have not come across this, chances are, no such block exists.
    Be cool if they did exist. Buy once and practice forever. But then again, if they were truly reusable, you would not be able to test to see how much penetration there was and whether there was any ... ahem ... undercut.
    Is it OK to want to break something just so that you can weld it back together?

    Everlast PowerTIG 185 Micro IGBT AC/DC Welder

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DVA View Post
    So, I looked into this and spoke with some weld engineers at work and they have not heard of this. Between the two engineers, they have over 60 years in the nuclear/power plant industry and have not come across this type of test. One of the weld engineers is a Level III inspector and both are heavily involved with welding industry standards. If they have not come across this, chances are, no such block exists.
    Thanks for looking into it. I know the guy pretty well so I believe him. I am wondering if it may have been a trial deal or something that was used for a little and never gained any popularity. He was thinking when he left he should have grabbed one of them.
    Shade tree MIG welder.
    Now a Shade tree TIG welder.

  17. #17

    Default

    Quite possibly some sort of copper alloy?

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    722

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by performance View Post
    Quite possibly some sort of copper alloy?
    Something that conducts electricity, won't melt in the temperature of the arc, and will not adhere to the molten steel of the rod. Quick, someone with a metallurgy background, get in here!
    Is it OK to want to break something just so that you can weld it back together?

    Everlast PowerTIG 185 Micro IGBT AC/DC Welder

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Chugiak , Alaska
    Posts
    260

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DVA View Post
    Most power Nuclear Power Plants have welders weld a pipe in the 6G position for welding tests.

    At my plant we have the welders perform a TIG root and cap the joint with a few with stick passes. This is performed for both Carbon and Stainless materials and then the samples are x-rayed. Less than 30% of welders pass the test and many of these welders have 20+ years’ experience. Other plants may vary the test, just depends on what their program owner and the Level III inspector set up for the test.

    As for radiation suits, there is no such thing as a radiation suit. Most radiation nuclear workers are exposed to go through clothing (Gama Rays). The clothing is used as a cover to keep contamination (activated materials or materials giving off radiation) off of workers. By keeping the contamination off of workers, the spread of contamination is better controlled.
    yep.
    yep,
    and oh yea, every time I see a movie where they dawn the “Radiation Suits” it kills me. They are basically rain coats.

    After the accident in Japan, my own Dad ask me why don’t they just get some of those radiation suits and walk in there.

    Had to explain you couldn’t walk around with 3’ of lead strapped to you.
    Last edited by Ray; 05-04-2012 at 11:23 PM.
    ____
    Ray

    Everlast Sales and Support Team.
    support@everlastalaska.com
    www.everlastalaska.com

    877-755-9353 X207

  20. #20

    Default

    My exwife lol
    EVERLAST 250 EX , EVERLAST I-MIG 205 , EVERLAST spool gun NOW have 2 EVERLAST POWER PLASMA 50 plasma cutter's , LINCOLN 175HD MIG WELDER , VICTOR TORCH SET and many more tools to many to list

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •