Thread: Convince me to finally buy a powertig 200dx

1. Cool Convince me to finally buy a powertig 200dx

I have never touched a TIG torch;However I've been looking for a machine just to practice and teach myself how to tig pipe. I've been looking at the Everlast's products for awhile but honestly its hard not to be skeptical. I know that alot of people are gonna talk bad about Everlast just simply because they aren't 'made' in America. I've heard from Everlast that they have recently updated these machines with new modules(i dont know if its a quality thing or features thing). I guess my issue is that when i usually buy anything welding related I'm there at the store talking one on one with the supplier and buying stuff over the internet just isn't like that. So something/someone convince me to bite the bullet cause i wanna burn some tig rod!
    Last edited by Challenger; 03-17-2012 at 07:32 AM.

Challenger, I've had some small issues (both sorta related) with my 225lx, and the support I got was far better than anything I've experienced by talking one-on-one at a local supplier at their shop. Totally hassle free to.

I fix stuff for a living, and I can tell you that everything breaks. What you want is a company that will take care of the problem, or help you take care of the problem. Everlast excels at this.

The welders aren't bad either!

Quote Originally Posted by Challenger View Post
    I have never touched a TIG torch;However I've been looking for a machine just to practice and teach myself how to tig pipe. I've been looking at the Everlast's products for awhile but honestly its hard not to be skeptical. I know that alot of people are gonna talk bad about Everlast just simply because they aren't 'made' in America. I've heard from Everlast that they have recently updated these machines with new modules(i dont know if its a quality thing or features thing). I guess my issue is that when i usually buy anything welding related I'm there at the store talking one on one with the supplier and buying stuff over the internet just isn't like that. So something/someone convince me to bite the bullet cause i wanna burn some tig rod!
    I also did some research and looked at others and decided on the 250EX (should be here the end of next week). Just a thought about buying from a store is that they can tell you the same info as some one on the phone. If you call one of the support people at Everlast I am sure they will answer any questions that you might have.

Challenger,

I would say that your skepticism is expected, probably even welcomed in this forum. Spend a little time searching around, and you will find examples of folks being pleasantly surprised, disappointed, having issues and finding solutions.

I'm new to welding in general, and I decided to buy an Everlast product since it fit my hobbyist budget. The torch on my 256 was the first torch I ever held. I'm amazed at what this machine can do for the price, but take that with a grain of salt given my level of experience.

I see folks often complaining about the lack of a particular feature that they found on a Miller machine. Yet, they never seem to acknowledge the difference in cost. It's just my opinion, but I think the Everlast product has an enormous value-prop; just understand what you are getting for your dollar.

Cheers
    Mike
    Power Pro 256

I have been looking at the 200DX features, and is the reason I have been hanging around Everlast. With my budget and needs, the 200DX would do all I want. I do not need more amps that require a water cooler. I primarily want AC for aluminum, and the machine will handle the aluminum thickness I would be fabricating. The stick function is fine to 160amps, and I have another unit that will stick weld to 200amps. The 200DX is well proven and I am confident of Everlast customer support. The warranty is still 5 years on the product page, tho I have seen in the forum that that might change to 3. If I had the cash today, I would have one.

I just bit the bullet and ordered a 250EX on Friday. I moved to a different province and left the Synchrowave 180 at my fathers as he is part owner, but he doesn't know how to use it. Nice to have a TIG at his place for work we do every now and then when I visit. The wife complains that I spend more time TIG welding when we visit but it's an itch and, the itch is back and time to start TIG'n here and the 250EX seems like a decent value.
    Millermatic 251 with 30A
    Synchrowave 180
    Hobart 100 MIG
    lathe & RF45
    Power TIG 250EX
    Spectrum 625 X-TREME
    Spray Zone.net-Side draft spray booth

The 250ex is a beast. I love mine and wouldn't trade it for anything. The folks at Everlast will always take care of you with any questions you have.
    Everlast PowerTig 250EX
    Everlast PowerCool 300
    Everlast PowerPlasma 70
    Lincoln Powermig 215
    Magnum SG Spool Gun
    Don't jump on my Gomba

8. Default

I just bit the bullet and sent in the order today!

Quote Originally Posted by Challenger View Post
    I just bit the bullet and sent in the order today!
    Now it's time to get an avatar, fill out your sig and join the latest contest. You may win more equipment.
    Click for>EVERLAST YOUTUBE CHANNEL VIDEOS

I'm not an expert or an Everlast employee, I'm just a hobby welder sharing my experience and helping where I can.

PP 256 (SOLD) : 2013 250EX : I-MIG 250P/w 20' Profax gun : Power Plasma 60/w p80 torch : Hobart Handler 135/w 12' .023" Profax gun : 3M Speedglas 9100XX

Is signature and avatar required for contest entry? I had read that about a previous contest, but not on the rules for this new one. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by KSmith View Post
    Is signature and avatar required for contest entry? I had read that about a previous contest, but not on the rules for this new one. Thanks.
    If it's not in the rules this time then I guess not.
    Click for>EVERLAST YOUTUBE CHANNEL VIDEOS

I'm not an expert or an Everlast employee, I'm just a hobby welder sharing my experience and helping where I can.

PP 256 (SOLD) : 2013 250EX : I-MIG 250P/w 20' Profax gun : Power Plasma 60/w p80 torch : Hobart Handler 135/w 12' .023" Profax gun : 3M Speedglas 9100XX

Signature and avatar are still STRONGLY suggested.

Challenger, congratulations and welcome aboard. You may already be aware, but some times it takes Everlast a while to ship your welder, depending on whether they have it in stock or not. Give them a call on Monday and ask what their lead times are like.
    Power Pro 256

Welcome aboard, Challenger! I hope you join the contest, put up an avatar, fill out your sig, and do your intro (just a line in the section saying hello). And then, start visiting this site and becoming involved. There are some absolutely stellar welders here that will accelerate your learning curve greatly. We are becoming a tighter knit community than most other forums for a lot of good reasons. One of which is that we are relatively "new" and still small enough where within a few weeks, it's possible to communicate with the majority of the members here, and get to know each one of us based on what and where we post. I'm new to TIG welding, and the assistance I have received here has accelerated my learning curve exponentially. I think that the choice of the 200DX is a great one, The few dollars paid to upgrade from the 185 Micro (an excellent machine in it's own right) to the 200DX is pennies for the features gained. You have bought not only a great machine but membership into a "club" of sorts (of being a forum member AND an Everlast owner)that, although totally voluntary to participate in, gives you an additional layer of support. Even non-owners are excellent sources of valuable information. I know this because it was quite a few months from the time I joined the forum until I was able to acquire my Everlast machines, but I still tried to help a member in need when I could. Bottom line: You've made an excellent choice, My belief is that you have just purchased a machine that is without match, for the money. That means that no one in the USA is offering a 200 amp TIG welder for a shade over a grand that will even come close to the 200DX on features, capabilities, performance, and support. No one. Good Luck, and looking forward to hearing from you!
    "It's not magic it's experimental, kind of like washing your hands after pooping used to be." -House

Everlast PowerTig 250EX-arrived 1-26-2012
    Everlast PowerCool W300-arrived 1-26-2012
    Everlast PowerTig 185 Micro-arrived 1-26-2012
    Everlast PowerPlasma 70-arrived 1-26-2012
    ESAB MigMaster 250-borrowed
    HyperTherm 151 AKA "The Light Sabre"
    Linde UCC-305-964 lb. of old time water cooled TIG love-SOLD-Bad MOJO
    Purox OXY/ACETYLENE

15. Default

Quote Originally Posted by posixPilot View Post
    Challenger, congratulations and welcome aboard. You may already be aware, but some times it takes Everlast a while to ship your welder, depending on whether they have it in stock or not. Give them a call on Monday and ask what their lead times are like.
    just received the tracking info. The scheduled delivery date is the march 21st. I dont know if the fast shipping is worth the state sales tax though haha!